Author Topic: DSG Driving tips ?  (Read 931 times)

Offline Adrian.L

• Just got here
DSG Driving tips ?
« on: 13 July 2023, 08:10 »
I have been driving a manual for over 10 years and got a GTI DSG 2 years ago and i`m still not sure what is the best way to use a DSG while waiting at a red light, i used to put the car in Neutral some one told me this is not a good idea since the car is made to just have the brake pedal hold i then just kept using the auto hold is kind of comfortable, then a few months ago a saw a video and the guy used to just press the Parking button when he was waiting at a red light, also the first thing i do when i start the car is turn off that stupid on/off engine thing.

While driving i notice when you use normal drive mode the car just drops all the revs and u kinda idle the engine, is this really good for the engine to have it idle on and off a lot while driving in the city, is it not better to have in sports and have the engine running normally at what ever RPM u depressed the pedal having it ready to go and not drop the RPM`s?

Any experienced people here who could tell me what is the best way to use the DSG when thinking of maintaining the car as best as possible, any info is appreciated.

I would also like to say i see the default GTI has lots of "fuel efficiency" perks, i never understand this like who buys a GTI for fuel efficiency why make some many things default like the start stop engine. :undecided:

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
Re: DSG Driving tips ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2023, 08:30 »
I’m not a DSG expert but I watched a US YouTube GTI video and it’s was recommended to go into neutral and hold on the parking brake or foot brake. Been doing that for over 4.5 years with no issues. I find that if you leave in Drive and hold on the brake / auto hold you can still hear (and see on the boost gauge) the engine is working slightly harder.
Drive and Auto hold is handy for stop start crawls.
Rarely use Sport.
I had the DSG fluid / Filter change at 3 years even though mileage was minuscule. Also don’t forget the Haldex LSD fluid change and filter flush at 3 years (assuming you have one) as the VW service specs are a bit vague.
As for engine stop/start, first thing I do every time I start the car is turn the useless thing off.
Oh, and just enjoy the GTI👍
« Last Edit: 13 July 2023, 11:14 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2023, 13:03 »
Stop start is a EU mandated thing, has to be on at vehicle start. Has been for ages.

As for how to drive, unless you want to be the first into the first turn when the lights go out... stick auto hold on. Stop at junctions, traffic lights etc using the brake pedal and then press the go pedal when you want to go.

Honestly its that simple, its how the car is designed to be driven.

Ignore USA videos, their golfs are built weird for weird Americans.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2023, 13:58 »
You’re probably right, my habit is based on previous conventional automatic when it was definite convention to stick in neutral to slow down Torque Converter wear.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2023, 14:13 »
If you stop at lights/junction and use the brake pedal, does that not put brake lights on, blinding the driver behind? (my bugbear....)

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 July 2023, 14:19 »
I have to admit I hate sitting behind someone (or a queue) who has their foot on the brake. That’s not how I was taught to drive. Nearly as bad as people who have lost the power of their fingers and can’t indicate. I do put the car in neutral and put the (electronic) hand brake on as I was taught, in a manual car. Maybe the correct procedure  for DSGs is different. Hey, old habits die hard and I am too considerate to dazzle the driver behind.
« Last Edit: 13 July 2023, 18:30 by EngineCover »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline Adrian.L

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 13 July 2023, 14:33 »
I also have the oil and all my filters change every year regardless of how many km i have done, but i average around 10 000 KM a year.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 July 2023, 14:42 »
I have to admit I hate sitting behind someone (or a queue) who has their foot on the brake. That’s not how I was taught to drive. Nearly as bad as people who have lost the power of their fingers and can’t indicate. I do put the car in neutral and put the (electronic) hand brake on as I was taught, in a manual car. Maybe the correct procedure  for DSGs is different. Hey, old habits die hard and I am too considerate to dazzle the driver’s behind.

We must be a similar age😂

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 13 July 2023, 14:49 »
I have to admit I hate sitting behind someone (or a queue) who has their foot on the brake. That’s not how I was taught to drive. Nearly as bad as people who have lost the power of their fingers and can’t indicate. I do put the car in neutral and put the (electronic) hand brake on as I was taught, in a manual car. Maybe the correct procedure  for DSGs is different. Hey, old habits die hard and I am too considerate to dazzle the driver’s behind.

We must be a similar age😂

Guaranteed to wind me up.....esp behind a newish large SUV with very brights right in your eyeline.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 13 July 2023, 18:02 »
If you stop at lights/junction and use the brake pedal, does that not put brake lights on, blinding the driver behind? (my bugbear....)

No idea, I stop, take feet off of both pedals, wait to go, push go pedal.

Whether auto hold puts the brake lights on i don't know...or care quite frankly.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC