Author Topic: GTI Club problem  (Read 937 times)

Offline thronetm

• Not said much yet
GTI Club problem
« on: 27 December 2022, 13:49 »
Merry Christmas all

On Christmas eve my Clubsport started making a really odd grinding like noise from the back of the car. Waiting on dealer opening tomorrow but I likely need to get the car transported as wouldn't feel comfortable driving it. The following pic is looking inside the back wheel. Is it normal to see the spring like this? Looks odd to me but no other Golf to compare

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTI Club problem
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2022, 14:26 »
Can’t really see from that pic. Is the other side the same?

I once had a similar issue of loud grinding noise and turned out to be a stone (from gravel track) caught between the disc and the shield / back of disc protector.
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline DaveFran

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2022, 14:50 »
The only thing that seems to stand out is all the corrosion on the disk.

I would personally just go do some heavy braking to clean it up.

Had a similar thing on the girlfriends' 2021 Audi and Audi Assist came out. The guy went up and down the road a few times and kept pressing the handbrake button. He even told me to do it if it happens again, so it must be very common.

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2022, 17:11 »
Why I first drive my GTI after a wet run and then not drive for a couple of days, you can ‘feel’ the disks cleaning on the pads, only for a few hundred yards. Handbrake also releases with a right crack on first use under the above circumstances.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2022, 17:16 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline thronetm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2022, 18:34 »
Can’t really see from that pic. Is the other side the same?

I once had a similar issue of loud grinding noise and turned out to be a stone (from gravel track) caught between the disc and the shield / back of disc protector.

It is the same yes. I took the car out again and no noise which is odd as was expecting something.

The only thing that seems to stand out is all the corrosion on the disk.

I would personally just go do some heavy braking to clean it up.

Had a similar thing on the girlfriends' 2021 Audi and Audi Assist came out. The guy went up and down the road a few times and kept pressing the handbrake button. He even told me to do it if it happens again, so it must be very common.

Yeah I hadn't taken the car out since Xmas Eve when taking that picture. Just took it out today.

Why I first drive my GTI after a wet run and then not drive for a couple of days, you can ‘feel’ the disks cleaning on the pads, only for a few hundred yards. Handbrake also releases with a right crack on first use under the above circumstances.

I get that crack on first use as well from time to time. Just sounds like things stiffen up after being sat for a while.

Update: Just took the car out earlier for the first time and no noise at all now which I was not expecting! When I last drove the car Christmas Eve you honestly would have thought the exhaust was trailing the ground, then that noise stopped and all you could here was like someone was using a grinder only it was coming from the back of the car. Parked it home thinking it'd definitely need transported to garage but now the noise has completely gone (shrugs)

Online Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2022, 18:39 »
I think the crack is the pads releasing from the rear disks.
Ever thought it might be a re-gen that made the noise? Either way, good news it appears to have resolved itself👍
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2022, 19:14 »
Pads on oxidised discs... Common and normal
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC