Author Topic: Satellite coverage on Saturday 8th October  (Read 850 times)

Offline ShropshireKen_GTI_Mk8

• Not said much yet
Satellite coverage on Saturday 8th October
« on: 11 October 2022, 17:27 »
Travelling between Bow in London and Waltham Abbey at 19:15 on Saturday 8th October the sat nav system on our Mk8  GTI went completely barmy after we took the wrong junction off M11. It took us all over different parts of Essex until we ended up on the outskirts of Brentwood. We tried re-entering our destination and re-starting the guidance only to be directed onto single track roads. Did anyone else experience problems with the sat nav system on that night? Or was it aliens?

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
Re: Satellite coverage on Saturday 8th October
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2022, 20:17 »
Were you using the built in VW satnav? If so mine used to go mad all the time until I got 1896 software update. Seems to be better now but tbh I use apple maps by default after it was upgraded.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 October 2022, 07:33 »
Thanks Unique for taking the time to respond to this. Yes - I was using the VW sat nav but my son has persuaded me to use apple CarPlay but with google maps. I'm using CarPlay/ Google maps from now on but will ask the dealership to update VW maps from my current 1886 version at the next service in January.
Regards,
ShropshireKen_GTI_Mk8

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 12 October 2022, 08:02 »
Thanks Unique for taking the time to respond to this. Yes - I was using the VW sat nav but my son has persuaded me to use apple CarPlay but with google maps. I'm using CarPlay/ Google maps from now on but will ask the dealership to update VW maps from my current 1886 version at the next service in January.
Regards,
ShropshireKen_GTI_Mk8

The maps are update separately to the cars software, and more frequently, with the later car software like yours this should be taking place free of charge over the air, you should be on the latest maps that are available because of this, there are various settings for the sat nav that may help if altered, such as being able to choose an economical route instead of most direct for instance, you are also able to choose to avoid certain types of route, so it may be worth having a browse through the navigation settings.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 12 October 2022, 08:17 »
Thanks Carlosfandango,
I'll monitor the version of my maps to see if it is updating as you say. Here in the wilds of Shropshire we are lucky to get a mobile signal let alone map updates from a passing satellite! Must visit the big cities more often!
Regards,
ShropshireKen_GTI_Mk8

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 12 October 2022, 09:43 »
Map updates come over the e-sim... ie via mobile network.

If your satnav went crazy... several reasons, one is VW software screwups.... the other is possible GPS interference. It happens, people "test" systems that can do that...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC