Author Topic: Pretoria Wheel chipped, Can I repair without Refurb?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
I have just noticed on one of my front 19" pretoria alloy wheels a chip which has gone through the coating.  The size of the chip is about 0.5mm +/- in diameter. First of all, are the Pretorias painted or powder coated?  Secondly to restore the wheel to its former glory, am i able to repair the chip itself or does the whole wheel have to be refurbished? 

I am hoping I can locally repair the chip only with a fairly good result as I do not want to go through the hassle of getting the wheel refurbished.  :undecided: 

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Re: Pretoria Wheel chipped, Can I repair without Refurb?
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2019, 13:24 »
For something that size, I'd be tempted to touch it up with something like a chipex touch up kit. If it's 0.5mm then you'll hardly see it anyway.

That said, do you mean 0.5mm or 0.5cm/5mm - you'd be hard pressed to see 0.5mm. Even if it's bigger, I'd still just do the chipex kit (or similair)

Whatever you do - do it fairly quickly as if it's down to the metal, you could get corrosion behind the paint even if you touched it up later.

If you went for a refurb, you never know if it'll be a perfect match etc. - although I know there are some brilliant wheel refurbishers out there that would get it perfect, it's just getting the right one.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2019, 13:41 »
Apologies i mean't 0.5 cm / 5mm I am trying to do work in busy office and type the previous post at same time, I was thinking cm and typed mm, my bad.  Obviously being male I failed at multi tasking. 

It is a fair sized chip but looks like something which might be repaired with touch up... I think what do you guys recommend for a chip at 5mm in diameter? 

Do chipex do a paint kit for pretoria wheels? 

I have seen online a few different touch repair kits for pretorias including LZ49 kit.  If I was to use a touch up kit, which have you guys used and would recommend for a fairly good result/ colour match?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2019, 15:16 »
@Brenbo; can’t remember if it was on this forum or over on vwroc.com, but a while back there was a forum member who was either able to supply touch up paint for Pretoria alloys or had found a source where this paint could be obtained in small quantities that was an exact colour match.

From what I’ve read, Pretoria alloys are a kind of blue-ish silver, and it’s difficult to find a paint that’s a good colour match - it’s been as issue for owners with these wheels who’ve had them refurbished, and not all refurb companies have been able to get the colour match correct.

Rebecca (Booth11) might be able to tell you who it was that could provide the paint as she’s a member on both this forum and vwroc.com forum.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2019, 15:36 »
Thanks for the heads up I think i found a forum earlier which mentioned something similar and if I can remember correctly booth was on the thread, but I was unable to save the forum thread URL in time as am currently at work.  Hopefully Booth can save the day and advise. 

I will try tofind the thread again later, if not.  Hopefully the guy is still supplying the paint so I can touch up my Pretoria wheel. 

It's so annoying to find a chip like that on an alloy, when you look after your car like a baby. 

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 May 2019, 19:45 »
OK, so I have done some research and found the VWroc thread about the alternaitve paint to LZ49 pretoria wheel paint.  As a result I ended up evenrtually finding the link below for the exact shade of paint as mixed and used by Lepsons called VW Blue Chrome.

https://www.wheelpaints.co.uk/CAR-MANUFACTURERS-COLOURS/Car-Manufacturers-Colours/Car-Manufacturers-Colours-Q-Z/Volvo/GOLF-R-BLUE-CHROME-24-00-91.html?cPath=237_13_75_112#reviewsDefault

However before I purchase this paint, could you guys advise which primer and clear coat would be best use with this paint to get the best result.  Also doI  sand each application of primer, paint and clear coat or not.  If so what what grades of sand paper do I use on each occasion.  Also once the clear coat is applied do I polish/buff the clear coat once sanded and or dried? 

As you can see I am a bit of a noob touching chips and scuffs in painted surfaces on cars and wheels to a good standard.  So I was wonder if some of you guys would be able to advise the best method for touching up pant chips on alloys so i don't miss a trick.   

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2019, 19:48 »
Due to my location in cornwall being too far for smart repair to come out and repair the chipped paint on my wheel.  Also due to the size and area of the chip on my wheel I have decided to order the kit I need to do the repair myself. 

I have found good professional tutorial on You Tube which shows exactly how to touch up chipped paint the right way.  I have also ordered the VW Golf R Blue Chrome water based paint and some clear coat laquer and once all the kit is delivered I will have a go at fixing the chipped paint on the wheel myself.  I may take before and after pics if I remember incase any of you guys want to see how close a match the Golf R Blue Chrome paint is to the original colour of Pretoria alloys. 

Will keep you posted on the outcome. 

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2019, 15:10 »
Only just seen this thread.
Good luck with the repair Brenbo. If the paint matches well then with some patience a good repair can be made building up the layers. I find that often it’s better to leave off the top lacquer and just keep the spot well polished as the lacquer can make it appear blobby. Then again I’m crap at touch-in’s!  :grin:

I bought a small amount of supposed perfect match paint myself to touch in a few stonechips a couple years ago on my second hand Pretorias. Alas the paint wasn’t a great match and I ended up having a refurb done.
If you do eventually go for the latter I can recommend SWWR in Exeter who I’ve known for years. They did a perfect match.
I can loan you a full size wheel too if you decide to drop your wheel there.
Hopefully not, with any luck you’ll get a good repair doing it yourself as the damaged area sounds very small.  :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2019, 16:50 »
Only just seen this thread.
Good luck with the repair Brenbo. If the paint matches well then with some patience a good repair can be made building up the layers. I find that often it’s better to leave off the top lacquer and just keep the spot well polished as the lacquer can make it appear blobby. Then again I’m crap at touch-in’s!  :grin:

I bought a small amount of supposed perfect match paint myself to touch in a few stonechips a couple years ago on my second hand Pretorias. Alas the paint wasn’t a great match and I ended up having a refurb done.
If you do eventually go for the latter I can recommend SWWR in Exeter who I’ve known for years. They did a perfect match.
I can loan you a full size wheel too if you decide to drop your wheel there.
Hopefully not, with any luck you’ll get a good repair doing it yourself as the damaged area sounds very small.  :smiley:
thanks for the heads up on SWWR in Exeter and the kind offer of the loan on a full size wheel.  Will keep it in mind.  I thought the same ad you, if the retouch doesn't go as well as was expected then I was gonna get the wheel refurbed.  Here's hoping the touch up goes OK?