Author Topic: Buzzing between 1.5k & 2.5k RPM  (Read 4227 times)

Offline Mr Savage

• I live here
Re: Buzzing between 1.5k & 2.5k RPM
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2014, 22:42 »
I know this has been discussed before on here, but has anyone sorted this out? Mine has it, and it has been into the dealership for 3 days now and they say they cannot find it, they can hear it, but cannot identify it!

They are requesting to put it back together and give me it back. As they have given up!

Who else has had it and had it fixed? what the hell was it???

I had the exact same annoying sound when I collected the car in July and almost turned round and took it back to the dealer. It felt to be coming from the drivers door near the A pillar but by trial and error I traced it to the plastic cowling under the steering rack. Holding the cowling firmly stopped the noise and it wasn't as bad if the steering column was pulled slightly forward - not my preference.

In the end I fixed it by taking the cowling apart and sticking an anti vibe pad on the inside of the lower section which has stopped it resonating. I would be surprised if this wasn't causing the same problem for others so worth checking.

Sadly the GTI is riddled with little buzzing sounds and rattling sounds that end up being something very minor and silly but it puts a real downer on the quality feel of the car. I've been driving around with radio off and climate control off recently and you can hear everything. Front suspension clunks over poor surfaces at low speeds, rear suspension knocking, buzzing from the drivers door panel (probably the one you're describing), the iPod cable cover rattles if closed occasionally too and the sunroof is also making a slight sound.

Actually to the op, it could be the iPod cable cover that's causing your rattle. Try closing/opening it when the sound starts to see if it goes away.
Current - MK7 Golf GTI - Tornado Red, 5 Door, DSG, Performance Pack, Dynamic Chasis Control, Panoramic Sunroof, Discover Navigation, Dynaudio.

On Order - MK7 Golf R - Pearlescent Black, 3 Door, DSG, Vienna Leather, Discover Nav Pro, Rear View Camera, High Beam Assist, Keyless Entry, Dynaudio (Tech Pack)

All gone.

Now;

MK7 Golf R - Lapiz Blue, 5 Door, DSG, Carbon Nappa, Discover Nav Pro.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2014, 08:00 »
You're right about the suspension clunks front and rear. My steering column cover rattles first thing in the morning but if place my hand on it the rattle goes. Comes back again though over bumps and poor road surfaces.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline GTI-J

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2014, 21:31 »
Mines pretty good now on the rattling front but it's not in the same league as my old 2011 mk6 which still feels more refined under the ownership of my bro!
5DR GTI PP 7.5, Indium, ordered 28 April 17, delivered 1 Sept 17, 19" Brecias, DSG, Lane Assist Plus, Discover Pro, Dynaudio, Reverse cam, DCC, Climate screen, Art Velour seats, 90% tints.

GTI history: MK7 PP Reflex Silver, MK6 Carbon Grey; MK5 United Grey; MK4 Reflex Silver; MK3 Tornado Red; MK2 Atlas Grey