Author Topic: Brown stuff on wheel barrel.  (Read 5687 times)

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
Re: Brown stuff on wheel barrel.
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2016, 11:06 »
I found something similar on my parents new 15 plate Qashqai that I detailed last week...

After snow foaming the car, I used valet pro bilberry wheel cleaner at 1:10, left it for 5 mins, and then used a combination of wheel woollies and wo-wo wheel mit, and most of it came off. Like most others have said, it's probably going to be a wheels off job to get rid of it all together, which I will do on their car when I get the chance.
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2016, 21:05 »
I have put some Iron-X in my order as well so ill give them both (that and the Sonax stuff) a try and see if it starts to shift it.
When I have had a good look at the wheels the back 2 are not too bad  the O/S front isnt great,but the N/S front is the worst,looking at it half the wheel is covered in the brown stuff the other half is fairly free of it,so when the dealer prepped it they must have sprayed something on the wheels and it has dwelled and done its stuff (ish)on the bottom half and mostly run off and done not a lot on the top half.
Ill order some sealant as well like maybe the Gtechniq, I think but I always used the Poorboys wheel sealant on my Monzas on my Mk6 and they were almost as good as new,certainly much better than these newer Austins are at the moment anyway!

Anyway, thanks for your help, ill see what they look like when I have had a go at them and see if they are good enough for a picture!
« Last Edit: 21 March 2016, 22:10 by Gtiless »

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2016, 20:45 »
Highly recommend C5 from the results I've had so far... it's only been on a couple of weeks, but the brake dust just comes straight off with the pressure washer - I can actually see a pool of black water on the floor as I'm doing the initial rinse of the car.

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2016, 19:08 »
So,if anyone is bothered  :rolleyes: I have had a go at my wheels this morning with the Sonax stuff and the wheel woolies and they are improving-As some of you have said I think it is going to take a good few goes at them to shift it all,at least they are going in the right direction and the car is also starting to look more like I want it to as well!

I think the dealer didnt prep the car very well at all,it looked OK when I picked it up but I didnt have chance to wash it myself for about 3 weeks,its not until you wash a vehicle yourself that you really spot any problems with it. Its amazing what an eye opener it is!

So next, ill give the Iron-X a try and hopefully the Tardis should have arrived then as well, so I suppose a good dousing in that wont hurt either.

I will also get some Gtechnic sealer when I am somewhere near them being free of it.

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 25 March 2016, 19:20 »
So,if anyone is bothered  :rolleyes: I have had a go at my wheels this morning with the Sonax stuff and the wheel woolies and they are improving-As some of you have said I think it is going to take a good few goes at them to shift it all,at least they are going in the right direction and the car is also starting to look more like I want it to as well!

I think the dealer didnt prep the car very well at all,it looked OK when I picked it up but I didnt have chance to wash it myself for about 3 weeks,its not until you wash a vehicle yourself that you really spot any problems with it. Its amazing what an eye opener it is!

So next, ill give the Iron-X a try and hopefully the Tardis should have arrived then as well, so I suppose a good dousing in that wont hurt either.

I will also get some Gtechnic sealer when I am somewhere near them being free of it.

Good to hear you're making some progress :smiley: hopefully the iron-x will shift what's left of it!

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #15 on: 25 March 2016, 19:53 »
My wheels are coming off in the very near future. It's impossible to clean and seal them on the car.
I can barely fit the small wheel woolie in the space between the brake caliper and rim on my car.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2016, 21:01 »
My wheels are coming off in the very near future. It's impossible to clean and seal them on the car.
I can barely fit the small wheel woolie in the space between the brake caliper and rim on my car.

Wheel removal is definitely best but time consuming. When you can't, clean what you can then just roll the car forward so you can access the bits you missed.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Gtiless

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2016, 09:30 »
Just a thought,I wonder if I got some cotton wool pads and soaked them in Iron-X or Sonax then stuck them in the worst problem areas for 10 minutes or so if it would shift a bit more,I have seen people do it with tar/glue remover to shift the residue from sticky pads etc but not with brake cleaner?

Has anyone tried it before?

Its got to be worth a try?

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2016, 11:43 »
Just put a bit of paper towel against the affected part and spray whatever you want on it.
I think the cotton wool pads would just fall off.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2016, 19:03 »
I just spray Bilthamber Korrosol on the wheels and it will dissolve same with iron-x, both work the same and will get rid of most of the deposits before you use tardis/clay/polish/seal etc.  I find doing them spring and Autumn followed by C2v3 is all i need to keep it from getting caked on, and pretty cheap to as i don't need any wheel cleaner or special wheel sealant.