Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2790631 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #7380 on: 17 October 2017, 17:55 »
Ordered a clutch stop. It reduces clutch pedal travel and has been highly recommended on many forums. For around £17 I thought it worth a go especially when I checked last night and roughly 40% of pedal travel seems unnecessary :rolleyes: Hopefully it'll also allow me to sit 1 seat adjustment further back which I find more comfortable but difficult to fully depress the clutch. Just one of a few minor mods I'm planning as and when funds allow including an Audi short shift and metal shift bracket with upgraded linkage bushes. Will try removing the clutch assist spring and delay valve plus if I can really stretch my wallet I would like to replace the lower engine mount with an upgraded VWR billet version, the dogbone inserts to me seem a bit of a bodge albeit a cost effective one. I just fancy getting my hands a little bit dirty under the bonnet and feel more involved with my car and how it performs :smiley:

Where did you order the clutch stop from?

Can confirm the clutch assist spring and delay valve removal are worthwhile mods, as is the dogbone mount insert. :smug:

Ebay, comes from the US and has some adjustment via the removal of washers. Nice and easy plus cheap, my kind of mod :whistle: Good to hear your feedback on the other changes, might take a look tomorrow at the spring. I may still go down the route of the insert as the full new mount is over £250 which smarts a bit :shocked:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7381 on: 17 October 2017, 18:04 »
Bought it a present.  Latest addition to the detailing arsenal.  Rupes Mini Bigfoot for spot work.

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline 7MAT

• Forum Supporter
  • GTI forum regular
« Reply #7382 on: 17 October 2017, 18:59 »
Bought it a present.  Latest addition to the detailing arsenal.  Rupes Mini Bigfoot for spot work.

Very nice, have a few Rupes machines myself.  :grin:
MK7.5 Golf GTI Performance, 3 door, Issac Blue, DCC, Manual. Racingline Stage 1 OEM+, Remus Exhaust system, Sache Performance Clutch.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7383 on: 17 October 2017, 19:13 »
Ordered a clutch stop. It reduces clutch pedal travel and has been highly recommended on many forums. For around £17 I thought it worth a go especially when I checked last night and roughly 40% of pedal travel seems unnecessary :rolleyes: Hopefully it'll also allow me to sit 1 seat adjustment further back which I find more comfortable but difficult to fully depress the clutch. Just one of a few minor mods I'm planning as and when funds allow including an Audi short shift and metal shift bracket with upgraded linkage bushes. Will try removing the clutch assist spring and delay valve plus if I can really stretch my wallet I would like to replace the lower engine mount with an upgraded VWR billet version, the dogbone inserts to me seem a bit of a bodge albeit a cost effective one. I just fancy getting my hands a little bit dirty under the bonnet and feel more involved with my car and how it performs :smiley:

Do you have a link Watts?

I washed the sand and ash off the car this evening. I was going to photos but it was getting dark and I thought a beer was more important.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7384 on: 17 October 2017, 19:37 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-PERFORMANCE-CLUTCH-STOP-GOLF-MK6-MK7-GTI-R-SCIROCCO-A3-S3-TT-SEOTLEON-/331207149596?hash=item4d1d7c081c:g:zvwAAOxyF0pTgS2v
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #7385 on: 17 October 2017, 20:03 »
Interesting, do you know the approximate depth or thickness that works? 
I appreciate it has shims, but looks like a very easy thing to make.
Cheers.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7386 on: 17 October 2017, 20:12 »
Interesting, do you know the approximate depth or thickness that works? 
I appreciate it has shims, but looks like a very easy thing to make.
Cheers.

I don't, will happily let you know once I get it but I reckon a bit of experimentation with whatever you choose as an alternative wouldn't take too long. Reading around I saw that one person had made their own using a doorstop.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #7387 on: 17 October 2017, 20:26 »
That's exactly what I was thinking, a rubber door stop and velcro over the original mounting hole.... trial and error will decide if velcro is strong enough other wise mount it on a plastic trim screw... easy!? :)

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-PVC-Door-Stop-Black-28mm/p/103306?CAWELAID=120135120001182807&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=52608959424&CATCI=pla-350975526687&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1JbPBRCrARIsAOKj2PmCrfMo4apFowuGtcpOIjyR7oCvpoau6MhTs8R9EEsZjshjYwdIGIsaAmAQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or if I am not feeling quite so extrvagant!

http://www.wilko.com/all-hardware/wilko-rubber-door-stop-black-round/invt/0345046

Such bespoke modifications would no doubt enhance the value of the car. ;)
« Last Edit: 17 October 2017, 20:33 by clubsport »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7388 on: 17 October 2017, 20:55 »
Perhaps a bolt through the middle to locate it in the right place with a circular double sided sticky pad with a hole in the middle (for the bolt) to hold it?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #7389 on: 17 October 2017, 21:34 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-PERFORMANCE-CLUTCH-STOP-GOLF-MK6-MK7-GTI-R-SCIROCCO-A3-S3-TT-SEOTLEON-/331207149596?hash=item4d1d7c081c:g:zvwAAOxyF0pTgS2v

Cheers Watts, ordered and in your post you said £17 which is a bargain but the link says £7(ish) which is a steal.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17