Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2783720 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10100 on: 16 March 2020, 06:42 »

Despite what people say about little SUVs, once you've sampled the higher up, more relaxed driving position, you'll forget all about pin sharp driving dynamics and siting on the floor. Cruise around, see what the farmers are up to and enjoy the ride.

I beg to differ. I’m no spring chicken but give me driving dynamics any day of the week.

My Tig feels like a sports car compared to my Caravelle  :grin: but I have the Mk2 GTI for fun times, so pretty much have all bases covered.  :smiley:

Another vote for driving dynamics over driving position. But I'm in a massive minority- it seems everyone wants SUVs.
I find it difficult to understand their huge popularity.
You couldn't design a car more ill suited to urban use- and that's where most are used in the UK- than the typical SUV.
And then there's costs.
We had an X5 as our family car until 3 years ago.
It was the most luxurious car I've owned- a £54k car that I bought 3 years old for half that.
High quality interior. Drove like a proper car. Excellent 3l diesel engine.
But it was heavy, thirsty, ate tyres- needed a new set every year, and started to become expensive to maintain- including a £700 bill for suspension repair.
Ok, you can buy cheaper SUVs than that, but it seems driving position is the only reason people buy them- they are happy to put up with all the problems associated with their weight. I can't understand it.

1.  Wimmin. They want to pretend that they're a Kardashian, or Victoria Beckham.  They want something that makes them feel "safe" and protect their precious crotch-fruit when they have to drop them off within six inches of the school gate in order to keep them safe from marauding paedophiles.

2.  People who can't drive, or park.  Again, they want to feel "safe", and be able to drive up kerbs to park, or take up more than their allotted space in supermarket car parks.

3.  Wimmin who can't drive. or park.  Because "safe".

I hope that the Government prosecute pavement parkers heavily, with the death penalty invoked for the worst, most inconsiderate offenders.  And selfish SUV drivers.  Which is all of them, because they develop a sense of inviolability when driving the stupid, lumpen things.

I don't like SUV's or their drivers.

I'm thinking of getting the wife a small SUV for her next car. Not because she can't drive or park, but because her mum has MS and the raised driving position makes it easier for her to get in and out. Also the extra boot space for her wheel chair. Sorry we're not all as perfect as you  :rolleyes:

Have you considered a mini MPV?
My elderly father struggled to get into our X5. No trouble at all with our Alhambra.
Far more space too- for kids bikes etc, and far easier to load up.
In terms of practicality, an MPV v an equivalent sized SUV is no contest.
Utterly unfashionable though !
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #10101 on: 16 March 2020, 08:15 »
There are quite a few small cars with high seats (eg Yaris) if you don't need the size of an SUV.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10102 on: 16 March 2020, 09:37 »
No one needs the size of an SUV! They are big on the outside but offer nothing additional internally.

Dr Mike makes some very pertinent points, even if he wins no friends in the way he makes them.

Getting back to Golfs, mine clicked over 10,000 miles this week- and I'm enjoying it more as time goes on.

For me, "fitness for intended use" are a big part of the ownership experience- for that, the golf is brilliant.

It's as refined ( or very nearly so) for the daily commute as the 3 series BMWs I had prior, it gives me nearly 40mpg on that particular route, it feels solid- nothing rattles ( not often anyway), yet it feels light and agile.

May be my imagination but it seems to have got quicker with time.

I think it's the best car I've ever owned.

It's booked in for warranty work today. I hope they look after it!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #10103 on: 16 March 2020, 10:31 »
Wimmin.
The 1980's just called. They'd like you back please.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #10104 on: 16 March 2020, 11:38 »
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10105 on: 16 March 2020, 14:04 »
Wimmin.
The 1980's just called. They'd like you back please.
:grin: :grin:

If you're going to start taking cheap shots, I'll start correcting your spelling and grammar.

You might wish that you had stayed at school a little longer...

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #10106 on: 16 March 2020, 14:24 »
If you're going to start taking cheap shots, I'll start correcting your spelling and grammar.

You might wish that you had stayed at school a little longer...
You ok hun?
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #10107 on: 16 March 2020, 14:36 »
Thinking this has gone far enough guys. Bigger problems for us all.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10108 on: 16 March 2020, 22:37 »

So last Friday for me was a rare day off..... it might have coincided with not a bad forecast for us and also buying a new toy! I treated myself to the new Dewalt cordless orbital polisher and a few pads, and compounds, and a few microfibres, oh and a liquid wax.... you know how it goes! :whistle:

Hi, in the market for a polisher - what model is this exactly? Ta.
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #10109 on: 21 March 2020, 13:55 »
Removed, cleaned and protected the rear wheels, changing the centre caps for the red edged Clubsport items.

Many thank's to Mr "Watts" for supplying them! :)

I only did the rear wheels for now so I don't lose the will to live? :)