Author Topic: How long should a DMF last?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Defender

• Not said much yet
How long should a DMF last?
« on: 01 December 2011, 12:35 »
Hello All,

Had a new Sachs clutch and DMF fitted by PSI about 18 months ago and 20k miles since, I spend most of my time on the motorway with the cruise control on going to work and back and I don't really thrash my car. It went to another garage for a CV joint last week and they mentioned that the car feels like the DMF is on it's way out.......I have to admit it is giving the same symptons as last time but I'm dissapointed that it needs another one already!!!!

How long should they last? The original presumably did 100k as I can find no mention in the service history of it being done before.

The car is a standard PD150 on standard tyres etc.

Am thinging about the SMF conversion from Techniclutch but we'll see (Helix is out of my price range at the moment and the car won't last until it is!).

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: How long should a DMF last?
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2011, 16:00 »
I am no expert but it should defo last more than 20k ffs.

Could not tell you why yours has gone so early thouhg  :sad:

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2011, 18:23 »
Should last a lot longer than 20k :shocked:
If you go for a single mass go for the shouthbend silent one gets good reviews from people who fitted it
www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/southbend-silent-single-mass-flywheel-clutch-kit-for-vw-02m-6-speed-tdi.html
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline Defender

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2011, 21:42 »
That Southbend looks an awesome bit of kit unfortunately its still out of my price range at the moment.

Techniclutch do three kits for the PD150 ranging from £400 to £600ish has anyone on the forum ordered and fitted one? I know they had some awful reviews on the Internet but that was years ago and can't find any recent bad press so just wondering?

Thanks,

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2011, 21:49 »
Erm I Would be back kicking up a fuss if it's only been 18k since it was fitted

Offline Defender

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2011, 22:57 »
I tried but garage is sticking to it's 12 month 12,000 mile warranty like brown stuff to a blanket! Had nothing but trouble with them anyway so not that keen to go back to be honest.

I suspect that it's not actually the garages fault and it's a faulty component but more my bad luck that it lasted 18 months rather than 11.

I suppose once it's out assuming it is the flywheel thats failed maybe I should try speaking to Sachs directly and see what they say.

Offline Gareth F

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2011, 17:04 »
Id be on to the manufacturers with sales of goods act as a last chance situation. Sure the garage fitted a new dmf and didnt con you? Not sure if you can adjust a lose dmf or pack it with grease etc?

Im tempted by the SMF but im worried about the noise!!
No SmOkE nO pOkE....

Offline Defender

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 11 December 2011, 20:19 »
I did contact Sachs, the response I got is below (I have not included the PDF but trust me there are 18 things listed on it!!!)

Thank you for your reply. we know that  the VW Golf 150pd can be quite a problematic engine. There are various things on the engine side of things that can contribute to DMF Failure. These can be things such as -

·       Worn cam lobe's on the cam shaft

·       Detiorated wiring harness for the fuel injectors

·       The tips of the injectors can get a carbon build up causing the spray pattern to change, which in turn will increase the amount of vibration the DMF has to damp out.

Please see the attached PDF bulletin.

The warranty period on the SACHS DMF is 24 months, unlimited mileage. This covers you only against genuine manufacturing or material defects on the product. If the flywheel has failed due to mechanical overload/ over stressing the DMF due to problems like the ones mentioned above then the part will not be covered under warranty.