Author Topic: Wazzzer - 1.8T  (Read 144703 times)

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
Re: Wazzzer - 1.8T
« Reply #120 on: 24 August 2013, 13:04 »
Quick update on the progress of my side markers....

The edges around the lights need a little bit of tidying up which I'm planning to do this week, also I'll use a tiny bit of bumper filler around them to make sure it looks as neat as possible

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #121 on: 24 August 2013, 13:05 »
Chopped the useless 2.25" part of the downpipe off

My 2.5" also arrived to bridge the gap between the downpipe and exhaust once I fit it, will leave it full length until I fit it as I don't want to leave myself short lol

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #122 on: 24 August 2013, 13:05 »
Tidied up one of the holes for the side markers, just got to do the other one and I can give the strip a lick of paint

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #123 on: 24 August 2013, 13:06 »
Replaced the one way valve in my WMI kit with a electrical solenoid this week and also wired up my wife button. It basically cuts the feed to the N75 valve leaving the car with around 8psi instead of 21...

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #124 on: 24 August 2013, 13:06 »
Decided to laminex my headlights yesterday, but not in the usual way.

I decided to cover the headlight protectors instead of the actual light unit as I didn't want to make it permanent.

One cover fitted for a comparison

and both

and a close up

I know there are loads of bubbles, I've ripped this one off and done it again since the picture was taken

At least now I can take them off whenever I change my mind lol

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #125 on: 24 August 2013, 13:07 »
Finally got round to getting it serviced this weekend and had the pick up pipe changed. There wasn't any crap in the sump which was nice so the new pipe wasn't really needed but it's on there for peace of mind now.

I've also been busy fitting a Kenwood DVD headunit I bought off my mate as I fancied something touchscreen. It was a complete nightmare fit though, I needed to remove all of the lower dash as the preout cables kept snagging on the back of the cage.

During...

After...

Still trying to work out how to use it but I'm getting there, really good sound from it too. 

Also had my powerflex front wishbone bushes arrive for my TT arms. Just need to make up some sleeves similar to the defcons.

Rear beam is still ongoing as is the US rubstrip and rear brakes lol. Not really had time to do anything at home so been doing everything in my lunch breaks at work.

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #126 on: 24 August 2013, 13:08 »

Time to get my thinking cap on for a heatshield now...

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #127 on: 24 August 2013, 13:08 »
Quick update...

Kinda lost interest in the Golf since the wing mirror was forcibly removed by a bus the other week so not driven it at all. Subsequently the battery is now dead (short runs all the time) so I haven't even bothered looking at it

Not being beaten I decided to have a go at repairing the mirror rather than having to buy a new pair at around £140 as they are Mk4.5 versions. The mirror body itself was broken; the die cast hinge part had completely snapped along with the mirror glass and indicator lens.

The indicator again is an expensive item at £40 for a pair so I decided on a cheap way to repair this but more on that in a mo

I got a guy in the machine shop at work to make me an aluminium tube which would serve as the hinge. Strangely for one of my ideas, it works a treat

Then on to the indicator. I ordered the cheapest single standard indicator I could find on ebay and set about cutting it up

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #128 on: 24 August 2013, 13:09 »
I gave Forge a bell this week and enquired about their revised piston for the 007p and without any provocation they offered to send one out free of charge which is damn good service IMO

It arrived next day so I thought I'd rebuild it while the kids were in the bath

What you get in the kit...

new piston (left) vs old (right)

You can see the added O ring for the seal on the newer piston rather than relying on the metal to metal seal of the old

All the parts cleaned up and ready for some new lube and O rings

and built back up

off to the bin with these bits

Definitely feels like it holds boost better but I knew the DV needed rebuilding anyways. The addition of the O ring on the piston is a definite improvement though and excellent value for money being free!

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #129 on: 03 October 2013, 19:38 »
Decided to sort something that's been bugging me, my clocks.

I had a set of clocks modified by ray (aRd) a while back but recently two of the display SMDs started flickering then completely died :sad:

So I pulled them apart and had a good look over them at work to find it was a dry solder joint on one of the diodes. This was on the same circuit as the other causing them both to go out.

Hooked up to a power source

The offending diode

After a quick blast with the soldering iron

All is well again

My new steering wheel is finally in

I've fitted a Mk5 R32/GTI flat bottomed steering wheel. A straight fit with the wheel but the airbag loom needing to be hybridized so the plugs fitted properly and the horn worked. A new steering wheel bolt was also bought as I'm pretty sure I've had it off six times now.

I've also replaced the steering wheel badge with a rabbit emblem as the VW logo was a bit scratched. I'm not sure if I'll keep the R badge on the bottom or change to a GTI version but I'll see. Oh and I've also ordered some brushed aluminium inserts to fit where the steering wheel controls normally fit. I've got black in there for now so we'll see what they look like.

I also figured out how to change the background on my headunit