Author Topic: Gti Reviews  (Read 50037 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: Gti Reviews
« Reply #180 on: 26 November 2020, 14:47 »
I do like Mat's reviews. He is sometimes a bit over the top, but he's also light hearted and his reviews do seem genuinely honest.

On the subject of the GTi he does praise the ride quality where other reviews have criticised it. Although he did have a car with 18's and DCC. The touch sensitive buttons on the steering wheel are a bit of a nonsense, but I'll reserve judgement about the touchscreen interface until i've tried it. I'm not a serial fiddler so i don't find the touchscreen setup so offputting that I'd rule the car out altogether on the strength of reviews.

I am a bit surprised though that Mat was only able to get £2k discount though when we know much better discounts are available.  :wink:
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #181 on: 26 November 2020, 19:56 »
It’s such a shame that time and time again the quality of the infotainment is mentioned. I totally understand that VW want to move with the times but would some buttons actually be a problem? I just don’t understand what they were thinking.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Ulysses31

• Not said much yet
« Reply #182 on: 26 November 2020, 23:49 »
I was expecting him to kiss its butt as they are trying to sell them... But no that's an honest review.

Drives well, interior and control interface sucks.

Seeing a pattern here?

I can't believe someone at Vw didn't spot this...

I enjoy Mat Watson’s Carwow reviews - I’ve watched more than my fair share of them. They do tend to be pretty honest, and if he doesn’t like something then he’s not afraid to say so, irrespective of whether it pleases or offends the manufacturer.

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned on this forum but the panel below the infotainment screen for adjusting the temp and volume isn’t illuminated at night. Not such a problem with adjusting the volume as it can be done from the steering wheel ‘buttons’ that Mat Watson really didn’t like (why can’t the GTI have proper steering wheel buttons?; the Life and Style models do). However, to have to fumble in the dark to adjust the cabin temperature in 2020 because the controls aren’t illuminated is poor IMO. I know you can use voice control but why should you have to? IMO that temp adjustment panel ought to be illuminated. The heating controls in a VW up! are illuminated and that’s a much cheaper car than the Golf.

Personally, I find the voice controls in Android Auto incredibly awful and frustrating amd hate using them.
Me: "OK Google"
Google: "I'm sorry you feel that way!"

Me: "Play playlist called favourites"
Google: "No track playlist called favourites found"

Me: "Navigate work"
Phone reboots.

The idea of using voice controls for something that would take LESS than one second with a button is mental.
White Golf GTI Mk7.5

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #183 on: 27 November 2020, 08:52 »
And it's the vw voice control not Google or apple too. The car oems won't let their vehicle control systems be touched by phones yet because... Well I'm not really sure tbh.

The vw system is clunky. I do use it, mainly when using waze and want to swap from listening to the radio to listening to something from the sd card.

You press the voice button, it goes beep after about a second, you say "listen to sd one" and you get a get what seems like an eternity while it thinks about it, then it reads back what you said in its robot voice and then it finally happens.

Its hardly knightrider.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #184 on: 27 November 2020, 11:11 »

Its hardly knightrider.

I'm just imagining Michael Knight navigating through the touchscreen menus in a Mk8 to activate 'super pursuit mode'. He'd be about a mile behind by the time he'd found it  :laugh:
7.5 GTD

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #185 on: 27 November 2020, 11:23 »
And then wondering why his hands are warm
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #186 on: 27 November 2020, 12:13 »
And then wondering why his hands are warm

Oh well played sir. Well played.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #187 on: 29 December 2020, 21:20 »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #188 on: 29 December 2020, 21:47 »
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/best-2020/tgs-big-hot-hatch-test-2020

GTI gets a mention, just about...

They’re quite entertaining these head to heads. Here’s another- steve sutcliffe-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d-5py4ESJgY

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #189 on: 29 December 2020, 22:18 »
Is there ever going to be a hot hatch test where the type R doesn't win? Short of them stopping making them that is.

Despite the constant press hype, you don't see them selling many. Wonder why that is?