Author Topic: front topmounts on coilovers  (Read 1371 times)

Offline iMation

• I live here
  • G SiXtY
front topmounts on coilovers
« on: 20 May 2008, 17:19 »
now then peep, think i may have a problem with the car

My MOT said there was movement in my NFS Top mount.

so me and rob took a look and when we got it up and turned the steering wheel the top mounts moved i.e. turned with the steering.

now i replaced the bearings and the top mount rubber things when i fit the coilovers.

any idea's why this is like this??

think i may need to contact Hottuning or Strictly dubs for advice.

Stu
Meh....

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: front topmounts on coilovers
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2008, 19:07 »
The top mounts turn or they go up and down when you turn?

They should move when you turn but not loads. What you may find is the slotted nut has come loose under the cap (If MKIV's have these!).

Nick

Offline mk4Martin

• Here all the time
  • Midlands VW
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2008, 22:58 »
i have the hottuning coilies too . i have upgraded arb because i ws getting knocking . i m now getting  rattling noise which sounds like its evenly spread between the front of my car . was wondering if that could be top mounts ?

Offline iMation

• I live here
  • G SiXtY
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2008, 10:59 »
The top mounts turn or they go up and down when you turn?

They should move when you turn but not loads. What you may find is the slotted nut has come loose under the cap (If MKIV's have these!).

Nick

just turn with the steering, not up and down.
Meh....

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2008, 11:12 »
That sounds OKish, mine did on the golf and the P!ssrat. It maybe they just need tightening. Strip the caps off and tighten up everything under it.

Nick

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2008, 20:14 »
one of my new ones creaks at the mo, think it's decided to give up. Strange as I only fitted them last year. I guess they must get more abuse with coilovers. I'll investigate further over the weekend and let you know what I find

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175