Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 556241 times)

Offline deltarikk

• GTI forum regular
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1090 on: 11 June 2017, 21:05 »
Thanks for the info  :wink:

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1091 on: 12 June 2017, 10:16 »
The usual maintenance wash.

Really, is there any need to post the photos here too, I've just had to look at all your photos twice now...

...and then go and look at my dirty car :whistle:
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1092 on: 12 June 2017, 13:19 »

Really, is there any need to post the photos here too, I've just had to look at all your photos twice now...

F**k off.  :kiss:  :grin:

Go clean it.  :tongue: 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1093 on: 12 June 2017, 14:04 »

F**k off.  :kiss:  :grin:

Go clean it.  :tongue:

I'm just revving up to it now :laugh:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1094 on: 15 June 2017, 11:55 »
Washed it today but what a pita :angry: I thought if I started early I could avoid the heat but what a scorcher of a morning :rolleyes: It wasn't drying quicker than I could dry it, it was drying far quicker than I could wash it! Tried to keep it wet as I went but inevitably now I have a load of water stains that aren't overly eager to shift. Still, it looks good and shiny, windows got a spray of C2v3 and I realised the benefit of the deep clean, clay, polish and seal last month of the wheels - they cleaned easily and the paint even in the groove behind the spokes and the barrels felt silky smooth :smiley:

I really wanted to get on with a decontamination, clay, polish and wax but unless this weather cools off I can't see it getting done before the autumn. I've ordered a couple of hand polishing pads as I don't really want to invest in a DA as I can see it loitering in the shed unmolested until it gets disposed of but if the hand polishing turns out to be pants I may raid my new tyres savings fund....
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1095 on: 15 June 2017, 16:33 »
Washed it today but what a pita :angry: I thought if I started early I could avoid the heat but what a scorcher of a morning :rolleyes: It wasn't drying quicker than I could dry it, it was drying far quicker than I could wash it! Tried to keep it wet as I went but inevitably now I have a load of water stains that aren't overly eager to shift. Still, it looks good and shiny, windows got a spray of C2v3 and I realised the benefit of the deep clean, clay, polish and seal last month of the wheels - they cleaned easily and the paint even in the groove behind the spokes and the barrels felt silky smooth :smiley:

I really wanted to get on with a decontamination, clay, polish and wax but unless this weather cools off I can't see it getting done before the autumn. I've ordered a couple of hand polishing pads as I don't really want to invest in a DA as I can see it loitering in the shed unmolested until it gets disposed of but if the hand polishing turns out to be pants I may raid my new tyres savings fund....

Raid the funds, bite the bullet and get a DA.  You won't be using it every week (once twice a year) but much better than hand polishing.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1096 on: 15 June 2017, 17:45 »
I'm sure you're right, it's a question of will I use it enough to justify the expense? I'm just not sure.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1097 on: 15 June 2017, 22:21 »
I'm sure you're right, it's a question of will I use it enough to justify the expense? I'm just not sure.

What would be handy in cases like this is if you got another person or a couple of people to share the cost of the initial outlay of the stuff needed and share it at preferable one persons house(how would pay less because they are supplying premises and power) so a few people could all help others out on each others cars.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1098 on: 16 June 2017, 08:12 »

I'd hazard a guess that you've got a decent cordless drill, maybe a jigsaw and other such power tools sitting in your shed. Do they get used often?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1099 on: 16 June 2017, 11:39 »

I think you would get your money's worth Watts. I've owned my DA polisher just over three years and in that time, used it five times; to polish my previous car twice, current car twice and a friend's car once. Also used it a few times to spot polish areas of etching left from bird poo, polish the swirls from the black shiny plastic on the B pillars, and polish some etching and car parking scratches from my brother's car.

Admittedly, I don't get quite the same finish that a professional detailer would (or Rebecca does on her R), but IMO I can get reasonsble results that I'm more than happy with. If I paid a professional detailer to carry out the same work, I would've spent far more than I spent on my DA + pads and polishes so my investment has more than paid for itself many times over.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl