Author Topic: Best Mk II Door/dash speaker/tweeter combo?  (Read 4616 times)

Offline modulater

• I live here
Re:Best Mk II Door/dash speaker/tweeter combo?
« Reply #10 on: 23 November 2003, 00:36 »
Will a 50W sony head unit be able to produce the power to get reasonable bass response from say a good set of componets or will I have to get an amp?

I got kenwoods in the doors and having just put a MDF shelf in the back with amp and 6X9's the sound is all coming from the rear with hardly any up front.

Blue MK2

« Reply #11 on: 23 November 2003, 11:48 »
Do yo have the Sony unit already or your thinking of buying one?

I would go for a good range Pionner unit because you have more control over the sound.

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2003, 12:24 »
I've got a SONY XRM500R that will be going in.

Blue MK2

« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2003, 13:29 »
I have a Sony XRCA500 50x4W.

As the bass is coming from the back i would buy some matching watt components to suit the headunit.
Then fade the sound more towards the back.

Doing this will bring out the bass in the 6x9s and will also give you vocals up front without the vibrations.

Works for me ;)

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2003, 22:01 »
either that or get some good front componentsa and amp them and then just run the 6' by 9's off the headunit. if the amp is 4 channel then bridge 2 channels for a sub, then do the above. it will sound a bit more balanced. depends if you have audio critical mates in the back often  ;)

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 24 November 2003, 10:09 »

I'm not going to be running amps and I really don't want a replacement shelf to run 6x9's.

I have a good head unit and really want to get a good sound, doesn't have to be that loud, just clear.

Does anyone know if the original speakers in the dash (of a 1991 8v) are tweeters? I also have the original speakers in the door.

If I buy a set of components will I have to run new wires from the headunit to the tweeters and bass speakers (to include some type of crossover I assume)?

Also I want to buy direct replacements for the back (6" x 4"s right?) anyone got any suggestions?

R

Blue MK2

« Reply #16 on: 24 November 2003, 10:14 »
Yes the dash speakers are tweeters.

You dont have to update the speaker wire but I would reccomend it if you are after quality sound. ;)

Dunno about other MK2's but my dash tweeters are quite clear so I left them alone ???