Author Topic: I’ve got a new one!  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
I’ve got a new one!
« on: 26 October 2023, 16:39 »
New bong and warning light that is.

Bumbling along a bypass in heavy traffic and a ‘ping’ with an accompanying rear light fault message, then a constant yellow ‘bulb’ warning illuminated.

‘Great’ thinks I, they’re all LED’s so it’s not going to be a case of rummaging in the glovebox for a suitable bulb then returning to business as normal.

I pulled over into a car park to check the lights as I was literally ten minutes or less away from the local VW dealership but they all looked fine, checked the brake lights via a shop window reflection and all good so carried on home. Checked again, all lights working.
Switched off, locked car, put kettle on, had a pee, washed hands, returned to car, unlocked, pressed Start, ‘ping’ and error message returned, lights checked and all working fine  :rolleyes:

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline The_Doc

• GTI forum regular
Re: I’ve got a new one!
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2023, 18:38 »
Checked the number plate and reverse/fogs as well?
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2023, 18:49 »
Disappointing Exonian, opened this thread thinking you’d bought a new car smell and we’d have lots of pics   :laugh:
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2023, 18:56 »
New bong and warning light that is.

Bumbling along a bypass in heavy traffic and a ‘ping’ with an accompanying rear light fault message, then a constant yellow ‘bulb’ warning illuminated.

‘Great’ thinks I, they’re all LED’s so it’s not going to be a case of rummaging in the glovebox for a suitable bulb then returning to business as normal.

I pulled over into a car park to check the lights as I was literally ten minutes or less away from the local VW dealership but they all looked fine, checked the brake lights via a shop window reflection and all good so carried on home. Checked again, all lights working.
Switched off, locked car, put kettle on, had a pee, washed hands, returned to car, unlocked, pressed Start, ‘ping’ and error message returned, lights checked and all working fine  :rolleyes:

You checked the obvious Exonian, the tail lights.  Completely logical I would have done the same.  But then it got me thinking.  Exonian you may actually be the first owner to discover a brand new bong related to an unknown display fault in the digital dash. :grin: 

I have to say I don't know whether to be excited or filled with dread joing the potential bong club in a few weeks time...
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2023, 21:01 »
Checked the number plate and reverse/fogs as well?

With the exception of the fog-lights, yes, thanks Doc, I didn’t give them a thought until I got home as I’ve never used them!!

I went back out a bit later in the pouring rain to re-check and see if the warning light was still on and it had gone out.
Took the car for a drive and it still didn’t bong nor warning light illuminate.
I’ll keep an eye on it.

Disappointing Exonian, opened this thread thinking you’d bought a new car smell and we’d have lots of pics   :laugh:

You fell for it then!!  :grin:

You checked the obvious Exonian, the tail lights.  Completely logical I would have done the same.  But then it got me thinking.  Exonian you may actually be the first owner to discover a brand new bong related to an unknown display fault in the digital dash. :grin: 

I have to say I don't know whether to be excited or filled with dread joing the potential bong club in a few weeks time...

Be excited Bluto, I’m sure yours will be fine.

All my frontal assist warnings seemed to clear with the new steering wheel (still touching wood) a few months ago, maybe my rear is now seeking attention??!

Anyhow, hopefully just a glitch, the warning light has extinguished.
Watch this space…

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2023, 04:50 »
I recall seeing a post on GolfMk8.com from a guy in Canada with a 2023 GTI that had the same phantom message as you after using a touchless car wash, they never came back to the thread with any further info though, could perhaps be water ingress in their case?! I had a similar thing related to the front right sidelight, but that appeared to be resolved after the 1899 update, and hasn’t returned since, I’m now on 1941 which , dare I say! Has pretty much resolved any bugs.😬
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline valentino

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2023, 12:23 »
The very first day i got the car home, i had this warning. along with a flat tyre warning. On inspection, no flat tyre, and all lights working. Only happened once

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2023, 16:52 »
I've had transient bulb blown warnings.

I ignore them unless it shows up several days in a row!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2023, 18:26 »
I recall seeing a post on GolfMk8.com from a guy in Canada with a 2023 GTI that had the same phantom message as you after using a touchless car wash, they never came back to the thread with any further info though, could perhaps be water ingress in their case?! I had a similar thing related to the front right sidelight, but that appeared to be resolved after the 1899 update, and hasn’t returned since, I’m now on 1941 which , dare I say! Has pretty much resolved any bugs.😬

Water ingress was on my mind, it has been a little damp of late and in addition to that the car gets washed weekly including the hatch shut area so all areas of the lights do get wet. But there aren’t obvious signs of water ingress.
Your reply in the rear camera glitch thread did strike a chord in that the car had an OTA software update a few days ago. Maybe it’s related?
The car is due service #3 in a few weeks so I’ll mention it to the dealer when I book it in.

The very first day i got the car home, i had this warning. along with a flat tyre warning. On inspection, no flat tyre, and all lights working. Only happened once

Oh! Strange!
Hopefully mine was a one off too (fingers crossed)
Used twice today and no repeat as yet.

I've had transient bulb blown warnings.

I ignore them unless it shows up several days in a row!

I’ll do likewise!! 😁

I’ll mention it next time it’s at the dealer but I’m sure it’ll just be a shoulder shrug from them.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline DrG_GTi

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2023, 11:22 »
I had this occur this week, only the once, checked everything no bulbs out.
I had a new steering wheel fitted couple of weeks back which sorted all the bongs and errors.
I'm wondering if this latest small update is a fix for this amongst others?
Currently refusing to pull the trigger on the new update as everything seems fine with 1941 and the new steering wheel....
'21 Mk8 GTi ClubSport