Author Topic: Fully electric GTi anyone?  (Read 3297 times)

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
Fully electric GTi anyone?
« on: 04 September 2023, 15:49 »
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
Re: Fully electric GTi anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2023, 18:27 »
I like it - a lot more than the hateful id3 they came up with. I think this is based on the id2 so is actually more of an electric Polo GTi?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2023, 18:30 »
Forum member @ajmoir has posted on the ‘General Discussion’ forum board.

I think the concept version looks good - I particularly like the rear quarter view (see below). Hopefully, the concept won’t be watered down too much for the production version. It’ll be interesting to see how much it will cost - VW have said that the standard ID.2all will cost less than €25k, I’d expect the GTI version to cost somewhere between €30k - €35k before adding options - or activating subscription-based services.

I like it - a lot more than the hateful id3 they came up with. I think this is based on the id2 so is actually more of an electric Polo GTi?

Yes, it is based on the ID.2 so is closer in size externally to the Polo.

IMHO the ID.3 can certainly be considered to be ugly sister of the ID.2
« Last Edit: 04 September 2023, 18:32 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline DSGboy

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2023, 09:55 »

Looks chubby, weighty to me.  A clue maybe@?
Gone. Mk6 GTI DSG, 2012 ,5dr , DPB, 18’s, Leather, Dynaudio, Cruise, DAB, Auto Mirrors, Storage Pack, TPMS.
Current. Mk7.5 R DSG, 2019, 5dr, DPB,  Pretorias, Leather, Memory Seat,  Climate Screen, Rear Camera, Black Caps

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2023, 12:23 »
We've already had an all electric Golf and it was utterly sh!te. When I had my ID3 (before the much better looking Born), I was unfortunate enough to get an eGolf courtesy car. FWD and instant EV torque are a disaster. Imagine the kind of tramping some of us used to have on a Bridgestone shod GTD, then have that tramping at 20% throttle rather than 50% throttle, not only in a straight line, but when turning in quickly (e.g. right turn at cross roads when a gap appears). It's like a GTD permanently under banana skins. RWD works well for the ID3/Born to put its torque down. Hope that the ID2 won't be FWD.

ID2 equivalent for a golf sounds right, the ID3's passenger space is bigger than a Passat/A4's, coupled with a Golf sized boot. ID2 likely more in line with Golf expectations.

BEVs are a funny thing - the instant torque is great, yet the cars are a little soulless - occasionally I curse the S3's DSG box being slow to respond vs the Born, but overall, I'd rather be in the S3.

ID2 will likely come with a small battery if they want to keep the weight down, which will mean a sh!te real range (especially in Winter) without a radical new battery format (e.g. the "it'll be here next year" solid state batteries.

Polo GTI barely lighter than the basic Golf GTI, stich a 58kWh battery in an ID2 and it'll still be the best part of 1800kg. With a 45kWh battery, you'd be lucky to scrape 120 motorway miles doing 70mph in the Winter and rapid charging is inconvenient and expensive.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 07 September 2023, 15:45 »
I'm not convinced EV is going to be the long term solution. It's ok in suburbia where you can park on the driveway and charge up. But downtown in the city, where there are thousands of terraced houses with cars parked nose to tail - just can't see how widespread on street charging is going to work. Unless there is a huge advancement in battery technology where you can charge up a batt at home and 'slot in and go' (think electric golf trolley) - that is probably decades away, if at all.

The aviation industry is looking into alternative fuels for passenger aircraft. Admittedly supply may be an issue but if it works in the air, why not on the ground.

EVs feel a bit 'betamax' to me........

Offline Carlosfandango

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 September 2023, 19:53 »
I'm not convinced EV is going to be the long term solution. It's ok in suburbia where you can park on the driveway and charge up. But downtown in the city, where there are thousands of terraced houses with cars parked nose to tail - just can't see how widespread on street charging is going to work. Unless there is a huge advancement in battery technology where you can charge up a batt at home and 'slot in and go' (think electric golf trolley) - that is probably decades away, if at all.

The aviation industry is looking into alternative fuels for passenger aircraft. Admittedly supply may be an issue but if it works in the air, why not on the ground.

EVs feel a bit 'betamax' to me........

Totally agree with this, my feeling has always been that EV will be the motoring equivalent of BetaMax.
Current car -
Mk8 GTI DSG, Kings Red, Pan Roof, Extended Winter Pack, Rear Camera, DCC, Adelaide Reps (CMWheels), Eibach Pro-Kit Springs.

Gone -
2020 BMW M135i xDrive, Storm Bay Metallic, Pan roof, Tech pack, Pro pack, Comfort pack,
👇see it here👇
https://youtu.be/j-4x9ZxehWU

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2023, 23:25 »
The e fuel thing might well pass legal permission but I think it's never going to exist in the quantities needed for all vehicles.

It's going to be a mix of strategies in the future but almost certainly not the likes of us filling up with green petrol... Aviation is a different argument, where energy density is a key requirement...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Colh

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 09 September 2023, 17:57 »
I think it looks v.cool BUT....VW have said 2027 - so that'll really be 2029 before its ready.
Current: 2021 MK8 GTI DSG Atlantic Blue
Gone: 2018 MK7.5 GTI Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2015 MK7 Match Night Blue
Gone: 2010 MK6 GTD Deep Pearl Black
Gone: 2008 MK5 Match Blue

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2023, 10:41 »
Shouldn't it be called GT  :undecided: 
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI