Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 117082 times)

Online The_Doc

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #860 on: 30 March 2024, 02:12 »
What were you getting from your clubby MPG wise? I’m sitting around 28ish, but that’s mostly short journeys with steep hills and traffic to and from work. Longer runs even if I’m not overly careful seem to be low 30s, but I’ve only done a few of them and not really any motorway. I’ve had it I think about the same length of time you have, and similarly have had no nice days to play with it yet. I know what you mean about torque steer though, is very predictable though.

I know the fear of wildlife well, lots of suicidal sheep up on the tops round here, suicidal bikers too. Always a few people each year end up with a new woolly front grill. Would have loved an Up! GTI, but sadly no auto and thanks to a crash years ago (in a Citigo no less) I’m limited to autos only thanks to a knackered right leg.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #861 on: 30 March 2024, 07:47 »
More photos in a week or so when I will summarise my initial thoughts but really like the car and very glad I bought it.

Looking a bit dirty at the moment. Love the Lapiz blue.

Perfect R imo wheels look mint!

Thanks davo245! I was in the market for an RS3 but I saw this and loved it. Agree with you about the wheels. I prefer the look of these to the all black wheels on the 20 years.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #862 on: 30 March 2024, 07:51 »
Love the nose to nose shot Paul70, you can really see the passed on design DNA.

How about a back to back mini review?

Agree they are similar, yet very different. I’ll do a back to back comparison next week.

Looking forward to the next update on Daisy. How are you getting on with the car after a few months?
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #863 on: 30 March 2024, 08:14 »
What were you getting from your clubby MPG wise? I’m sitting around 28ish, but that’s mostly short journeys with steep hills and traffic to and from work. Longer runs even if I’m not overly careful seem to be low 30s, but I’ve only done a few of them and not really any motorway. I’ve had it I think about the same length of time you have, and similarly have had no nice days to play with it yet. I know what you mean about torque steer though, is very predictable though.

I know the fear of wildlife well, lots of suicidal sheep up on the tops round here, suicidal bikers too. Always a few people each year end up with a new woolly front grill. Would have loved an Up! GTI, but sadly no auto and thanks to a crash years ago (in a Citigo no less) I’m limited to autos only thanks to a knackered right leg.

The Clubby was sat around 38mpg once fully run in which I thought was pretty impressive for a hefty 300PS car. Mind you it soon dropped away if the performance was used or in city traffic. In warmer dry conditions getting 40mpg wasn’t uncommon. I know people like to jump in and say “you don’t buy cars like that for fuel economy” but I’d disagree to an extent, it’s certainly a secondary consideration with a hot hatch daily driver for most people who want running costs to be reasonable.

I think I like the idea of an up! GTI more than I’d like the reality of it. I’ve been harping on about them since well before they were released, they’ve done a five(?) year run and gone out of production now so maybe I’m just kidding myself - I’ve yet to even sit in one! A bit like a puppy, they’re just kind of cute!
You’re testament to the crashworthiness of the chassis Doc, be it good or bad? At least you’re still here with us to tell the tale.

@Paul70  There’s a few of us that have owned both an Ed40 and 8R but aside from maybe Trev one would have been before the other not at the same time so it’d be fascinating to know how they compare directly in different ways.

I’d been avoiding Daisy updates so as not to bore everyone to tears! There’s not a huge amount to report on to be honest but I’ll see if I can nab a quiet half hour over the weekend and write something out, there’s bound to be a few anecdotes I can muster up, even if just to highlight how boring my life is! 😁

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #864 on: 30 March 2024, 14:47 »
It wasn’t my car, had I been in mine I’d not have been as badly injured but that’s only thanks to it having an impact cell and roll cage. The only reason my injuries were as bad was the impact came from underneath, where nothing stick is designed to take an impact. It was a collision of 2 impacts, one where I hit the verge and rolled avoiding the first moron who was on the wrong side of the road, and the second where the second moron came round the bend too fast and hit me from underneath. From what I understand, I’d have walked away from the first one with minor injuries, the bulk of the damage was from the second impact. Nobody at the scene expected me to make it, the fire service were amazed when I rolled into their office 6 months later.  I credit that to it being a well made car since although it didn’t absorb the impact of the second crash, it was still held together enough I was held inside rather than being ejected.
Current - MK8 CS - Dolphin Grey, DCC, Black Estoril, Rear Camera, Sunroof, Winter Pack, Harmon Kardon

Previous and sorely missed - MK7.5 GTI Perf, Indium Grey, Brescias, Art Velours, Rear Camera

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #865 on: 30 March 2024, 21:36 »
Oh my word Doc!
Cars definitely don’t get stars awarded for those type of impacts. Blimey.
But thankfully here you are.
I can but imagine what the convalescence was like.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online The_Doc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #866 on: 30 March 2024, 22:00 »
It’s all good exonian, I’m still just as mad as ever, now I just have more wheels.  :grin:

Got me my first golf too, before that I was deep into Subaru territory.

Offline guy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #867 on: 01 April 2024, 11:25 »
Fitted:
Dynamic indicator lights on mirrors
Dynamic front grill light bar

Here’s a video

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/hswaup547qniugbxui3bu/433450b4-ddf2-4246-9930-a4b489ee3cd2.mp4?rlkey=hc8qzufki2fvo2ujxzu5xjhnr&dl=0

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #868 on: 01 April 2024, 20:55 »
 :grin:  That looks good fun Guy, is the light bar easy to fit?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline guy1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #869 on: 06 April 2024, 20:30 »
Take great care to mask and protect/ cover up the front bumper to avoid any scratches when taking off the grill.

Time taken: 1 hour

Tools: trim tools, small flat screw drives, pliers, insulation tape.
Stool to sit on.

Remove front grill with 2 torx screws (1 on each side)

Carefully pull the grill to avoid damage.

Do not remove radar plug unless you have equipment to switch off any errors. I did not remove it.

Unplug the two plugs/connector for led lights (1 on each side)

Take off the front badge by removing the clips.

Remove the two blue strips on each side with trim tool.

Carefully remove the front R badge.

Front part of the Grill needs to be separated from the back part of the grill. You will need to pry as it’s clipped all the way. This is a bit fiddly you just need to start from one end and release slowly from one end to the other.

Once separated you will have visibility of 3 torx screws on each LED bar. Remove these.

Carefully remove the old LED lights with flat screw drivers or trim tool.

I wedged the screwdrivers in between the clips.

Refitting is the reverse, you will need to connect the new wires with the crimp connectors provided.

Takes an hour and a lot of patience as you want to avoid braking the clips. Can be awkward at times. Be patient. 👍🏻