Author Topic: folding mirror query  (Read 922 times)

Offline Redvtec

• Just got here
folding mirror query
« on: 12 December 2023, 15:23 »
Hi I have folding mirrors on my car, I had to have the passenger window motor replaced. now the mirror on that side does not fold in and out, is it related? thanks

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: folding mirror query
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2023, 18:06 »
Most likely related. Sounds like the control module in the door has not been reconnected correctly.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Redvtec

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2023, 19:20 »
Thanks for the reply? does the control module have to be reprogramed?

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2023, 22:32 »
I'd be going back to whoever did the work on the window regulator. Hope you get it sorted soon though.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2023, 08:54 »
Thanks for the reply? does the control module have to be reprogramed?
Not necessary as settings will not have changed unless someone has been 'playing' with them.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 13 December 2023, 08:58 »
Have a look at the retrofit folding mirror thread a couple of threads down. It may have more info on if the motor is different for the folding mirror specs.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 December 2023, 00:38 »
It will be one of two things.

• Replacement Module used was not the correct one
  • Replacement Module used was 2nd hand with different coding or needs to be coded to match your old one

Whoever did the replacement should have taken the coding reading from your previous module and copied it into your new one.
« Last Edit: 15 December 2023, 00:40 by Nino »
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2023, 09:44 »
As has already been said, assuming the correct replacement window motor/controller module has been installed.  The replacement motor/controller unit may be missing the correct coding for your car - as @Nino has already mentioned.

I agree with @JYSGTI that I'd be going back to whomever you got to do the work in the first place.

Below may potentially help if you get stuck.  Via VCDS I've gone into the module on the driver's side door of my UK spec 2009 Mk6 GTI which has fold-in mirrors fitted from factory, and pulled its long coding config. 

Small disclaimer: various revisions of controllers and later Mk6 GTIs may have different configuration settings or options to mine, so I'm not guaranteeing my config would work on your vehicle.  Plus if anyone does tinker with VCDS I can't emphasise enough backing up/saving your car's config before making any changes. e.g. do an autoscan and save it, make notes of any Software Coding values before making changes and take lots of screen shots!  So any changes can be reverted back if needed helping to avoid 'bricking' your car.

Anyway the config for the 42-Door Elect, Driver module on my vehicle is:

Byte 0

Byte 1

Byte 2

« Last Edit: 17 December 2023, 09:56 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2023, 08:34 »
As has already been said, assuming the correct replacement window motor/controller module has been installed.  The replacement motor/controller unit may be missing the correct coding for your car - as @Nino has already mentioned.

I agree with @JYSGTI that I'd be going back to whomever you got to do the work in the first place.

Below may potentially help if you get stuck.  Via VCDS I've gone into the module on the driver's side door of my UK spec 2009 Mk6 GTI which has fold-in mirrors fitted from factory, and pulled its long coding config. 

Small disclaimer: various revisions of controllers and later Mk6 GTIs may have different configuration settings or options to mine, so I'm not guaranteeing my config would work on your vehicle.  Plus if anyone does tinker with VCDS I can't emphasise enough backing up/saving your car's config before making any changes. e.g. do an autoscan and save it, make notes of any Software Coding values before making changes and take lots of screen shots!  So any changes can be reverted back if needed helping to avoid 'bricking' your car.

Anyway the config for the 42-Door Elect, Driver module on my vehicle is:

Byte 0

Byte 1

Byte 2

Bluto, I take it you have a 5 door?
Checked mine and I have:
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2023, 08:23 »

Bluto, I take it you have a 5 door?
Checked mine and I have:

Yes @Nino my Mk6 is a 5-door.  Good point I should've mentioned that.  :wink:
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors