Author Topic: Head Unit Change  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Head Unit Change
« on: 07 July 2023, 11:56 »
Morning

MK 6 GTI Sept 2012 RNS 510

Looking at modernising the head unit to incorporate Apple Car Play and there is lots of options out there, would like to go OEM if that's possible?? is there an updated head unit that retrofits?

Have been looking at the modern touchscreen upgrade and not averse, and Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB keeps popping up as recommended.

Only have rear audio parking sensors so there is no rear camera complexity though imagine a DAB Ariel would need to be installed?

Any thoughts and recommendations from those who have done similar?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: Head Unit Change
« Reply #1 on: 07 July 2023, 12:27 »
Hi Hertsman

Yes, I have upgraded my RNS510 a while back to a Pioneer DAB head unit with Apple CarPlay. Also upgraded the shark fin aerial to do FM and DAB.

Details of what I’ve done are in this post where another forum member was asking about upgrading when the car also has Dynaudio fitted

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287915.0

Hope that may be of help? If you need any more details let me know.

Cheers

Bluto
« Last Edit: 07 July 2023, 12:30 by Bluto »
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2023, 08:04 »
It would be worth checking out the Eonon VWA12S, it’s their new headunit running Android 12 with all the bells and whistles.

If it wasn’t for the fact I recently upgraded to an RNS510, I’d seriously consider it.

https://www.eonon.com/Android-Car-GPS/Vehicle-Specific-GPS/eonon-vw-seat-skoda-android-12-wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-car-radio-with-4gb-ram-9-inch-qled-touch-screen.html

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2023, 11:53 »
Thanks for the reply guys and having done some research am walking back from an upgrade as the RNS510 should be good enough for our uses, but maybe some of its issues are firmware related as it seems it is on the SW 4120 (original) and that SW 5238 is quite a major update for responsiveness and UI interactions.

Anyone have any experience in a firmware upgrade?
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2023, 07:52 »
I’ve not done an update myself, but you can get the disc or digital downloads off eBay for reasonable money.

It might be worth getting an update for the maps too as I’ve heard that there is a chance the software/firmware update could wipe the maps outs. Again, you can get V17 (2020) of the maps off eBay.

It would be great  how you get on, please keep us posted.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2023, 16:27 »
I upgraded the firmware on mine a few years back. It did wipe the maps  on mine. But i had a version to reinstall. I need to update the maps now as they are way out of date.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2023, 16:39 »
Having just got my Eddy, its got an RCD330

Looks like this;

But I want to change it out with something that has Apple car play with a way to route the wire behind the unit as my current wire just gets in the way when changing gears.

At first, I thought about getting the upgraded version of the RCD330 called the RCD330+ which comes to $479 but has more RAM and a wireless Carplay dongle! (Select Package A) but I am yet to see what that comes to with shipping/fees etc think it comes directly from China but is the cheapest option and is plug and play. Only downsides I have discovered with this unit are it has no DAB and the FAM/AM stations won't display the station names, you will only see the freq - As it is build as an OEM replacement, it also doesn't have any pre-outs for amps etc.

https://www.rcd330.com/product/desay-187b-with-rear-usb/

2nd Option is the Kenwood DNX518VDABS

This unit was acutally an optional extra from VW so you know its certified and will also work with your climate control etc.
Only downside to this is the cheapest I have been able to find it is around £1,100-£1,400 on ebay and upon reading reviews, has ALOT of complaints about it not being a very reliable unit with the most common issue being lag on the interface, overly complicated menus and DAB not working.

The final 3rd option I have come across is the Alpine X902D-G6 and X903D-G6

This is by far the nicest looking unit in my honest opinion has DAB and Carplay etc and works with all the standard things, I am however yet to find them for sale anywhere...
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2023, 17:45 »
I agree the Alpine unit looks very flush with the dash and I did shortlist for replacing the RNS510 in my Mk6.  Though when I read Alpine's fitting instructions and specifically the amount of "Dremel" chopping to the original headunit surround/air vents to allow installation, I went with a Pioneer AVIC-Z930DAB.  Personally I wanted to be able to refit my RNS510 if required, though I appreciate that's not a criteria for everyone.

The Pioneer AVIC-Z930DAB has wireless Apple CarPlay and wireless Android Auto.  Found it very stable. Occasionally (one every three or four months) I may get an incident of the wireless Apple CarPlay randomly disconnecting.  Which takes a reboot of the headunit to resolve.  Though I'm not sure if that's my old iPhone with the issue rather than the headunit. 

According to various car audio online shops, the Alpine X903D-G6 looks to have been discontinued by Alpine. So probably why it's trickier to track down.
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2023, 19:27 »
Yeah I have seen that :(

I watched the installation video about the dremmeling and looks very straight forward, I honestly would have bought a 2nd Radio cage and vents though as I agree, I wouldn't want to cut up my Eddy's.

Really not sure what to do now.
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door