Author Topic: Running your new engine in....  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: Running your new engine in....
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2010, 20:55 »
I too have heard the running in method of just ragging it from the word go.
My nitro RC car's first engine was never ran in, I just ragged it from the day I got it, it lasted a fair bit before it went boom and to be fair, that engine ran really lean a lot of the time, so I put the broken conrod and piston down to bad fuel mixture.
The new engine though I've run in properly-ish, and it's been strong so far (only used it 5 or 6 times).

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #11 on: 14 April 2010, 20:57 »
When I worked at TSR we used to state 500 to 1000 miles to run it in, no excessive loads etc etc.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2010, 19:43 »
20 yr old otors arn't vinatge,  but yours is turboed so there be plenty of cyl pressure anyway as long as that hairdryer starts spinning
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2010, 19:49 »
Ha ha a 200,000 rpm hairdyrer!

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline Alec

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 15 April 2010, 20:51 »
My Dad has new cars often and never runs em in, just drives em how he wants to. All of his cars have been driven hard from the word go and they are all running perfect. Got a couple of D5's which are still running like new after over 150k

When I worked at TSR we used to state 500 to 1000 miles to run it in, no excessive loads etc etc.

I have a couple of running in sheets from TSR saying the same thing.

I cant make my mind up what the best method of running in is, I would be more into taking it easy for a bit first due to having quite a bit of mechanical sympathy

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2010, 09:18 »
I find the best way to run an engine in is to drive to the track day.  :grin:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2010, 11:52 »
Oh DH, what are you like eh?  :smiley:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2010, 12:48 »
My Dad has new cars often and never runs em in, just drives em how he wants to. All of his cars have been driven hard from the word go and they are all running perfect. Got a couple of D5's which are still running like new after over 150k

D5 - is that a Volvo?

I guess that from all the differing views it doesn't really matter much if you run it in or not - it matters more how you treat the engine over its life, e.g. regular servicing, not thrashing it mercilessly from cold, etc. Taking a balanced view and as a precaution, it might be a good idea to treat it nicly for the first few hundred miles - but not too nicely.
Golf R

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2010, 14:05 »
I've done 100 miles of 'christian driving' on it so I'll use it properly at the weekend (all done when warm of course).

Offline RnP

• Here all the time
  • Audi S4 gone, looking for b5 rs4
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2010, 18:52 »
when Simon Norris rebuilt my sr20det motor I put 500 odd miles on it in one go by going round the m25, boost was set at a meesly 0.7bar then an oil change and another 500 miles later it was increased to 1 bar after this it was set to 2.1bar. Point being even at 0.7bar I never revved it beyond 5.5k but i also never drove it like a granny either.