Author Topic: smoothed boot. want it not to shut under its own weight? DIY  (Read 5841 times)

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
Ok so youve smoothed your boot and installed a boot popper. but your boot is closing under its own weight.

you have two options. 1) install a beetle boot latch. 2) install rocco bump stops.

option one is more expensive. more time consuming. and you have to trim your tail gate.
option two costs £9 and takes 2 mins.

Part no is : 1k8 827 761 D

they come in a pair and cost £9.40 ish

Tools needed. 3mm alen key

1. Open boot. there is a hole in the top of the original bump stop. put the hex key in and unscrew the bolt in there.

2. pull bumpstop and it will come out

3. You can now either remove the bump stop base. however the one already in is exactly the same so i left it. however if you want to you will need a pair of plyers/mole grips. grip the edge and twist it will then pop out. to put new one in its just the oposite.

4. Again undo the screw in the new rocco spring loaded bump stops and remove the spring loaded bump stop from the base.

5. now put the bumpstop in the bases in the tail gate. (Do not tighten the screw yet)

6. Gently close the tail gate and it will push the bumpstops in the correct distance. for me it was all the way in and im guessing it will be the same for youse.

7. Now tighten the screw in the spring loaded bumpstop

8. Twist the end of the bump stop and it will spring out
 (when they come the springs are under tention and locked in)

and voila. your boot will now pop open and stay open.

Sorry if this is vague feel free to pm me if you need anymore info.

Mods may want to move to the maintenece section. could help people.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2013, 15:43 by mcgee9t2 »

Offline SI74

• I live here
Nice wee how to there, might have to do this one.

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
Yeah there seemed to be loads of info on the beetle boot latch online but no how too's or info on how to fit these and didnt see the point in people paying more for the boot latch over a £9 bump stop.

jockgti

Re: smoothed boot. want it not to shut under its own weight? DIY
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2013, 15:04 »
i'll keep this thread in mind as i'm looking at getting tailgate smoothed and de-spoilered soon good work mate just need to figure out what i'm doing with the latch now

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
no need for beetle boot latch with these mate. I haven't got a beetle boot latch just the standard one