Author Topic: Guide: Replacing damaged coil pack wiring  (Read 29235 times)

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
Re: Guide: Replacing damaged coil pack wiring
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2009, 10:20 »
Phew all done!  What a job.  I decided to solder the wiring (bit like this http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/how_to/solder/index.html) and then heat-wrapped each exposed joint.

Car seems a lot smoother with improvement to the flat-spot issue at lower revs.  Couple of images here with the Audi heat-shield fitted:

2nd image - I extended the shield over the end of the head by salvaging part of a heat-shield off the new harness  :wink:

Build thread clicky

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2009, 13:07 »
Fancy doing mine then!?

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2009, 13:56 »
Fancy doing mine then!?

I wouldn't do mine again now!     :tongue:

Nah, it was simple enough, just a bit daunting, time consuming and very fiddly.  The spade connector method would be quicker, but not convinced the connection integrity would remain in that environment. 

Whichever way it needs to be shielded afterwards or it'll happen all over again!

Build thread clicky

Offline Mk1Macca

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 05 January 2010, 14:28 »
Am I missing something? Would it not just be easier to replace the whole harness out, rather than cutting it up?

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 05 January 2010, 17:33 »
Am I missing something? Would it not just be easier to replace the whole harness out, rather than cutting it up?

You only cut it in one place and replace with a standard VW part, or it can be fitted into existing connectors if you have the skills. 

Replace the whole harness?  A complete new harness would be silly moneys....

Build thread clicky

Offline Mk1Macca

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 05 January 2010, 20:21 »
I only mean the part of the harness bought - the part you see in the photo  :smiley:

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 06 January 2010, 17:42 »
I only mean the part of the harness bought - the part you see in the photo  :smiley:

You can but it means re-routing the harness through the fire wall and over the place, and re-wring existing connectors.  There's a proper guide somewhere or other....  https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/download/attachments/2130569/vw.tb.97-04-02.pdf?version=1

Its up to you how you do it, but just wanted to make the point that you can!   :wink:

Build thread clicky

Offline ade_aidy_ady

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 20 October 2010, 21:15 »
any ones got the pics for this...........?!

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 20 October 2010, 22:26 »
any ones got the pics for this...........?!

I aint got pics.  It sounds a bit daunting but its pretty straight forward.

Cut the coil pack wires off down the side of the block and re-attach (solder or connectors) to the appropriate section cut from the repair loom.  See the second image I posted showing extra heat-shield bit?  I contained all the wiring joints within the ribbed cable tidy coming out to the right of the heat wrap. 

I did the wires one at a time, but it would be quicker and just as easy to cut the lot off in one go.  It'd be neater too as I had to recut and adjust the length of a couple as I went.  I'd recommend staggering the lengths slightly to avoid possibility of any shorting if your insulation fails. 

You can wire the repair harness into existing plugs etc without chopping wires, but that is a big big job.  There's a VW technical service bulletin for doing that: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/293531-Coil-Pack-Wiring-Harness-Replacement-1.8T

Build thread clicky

Offline dave92en

• Just got here
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2014, 14:08 »
Sorry for reviving a dead thread guys but does anyone happen to have a copy of this guide saved anywhere with the pictures? Doing this tomorrow and would like visual reference!

Thanks and sorry for bringing back the dead!