Author Topic: Throttle body clean.  (Read 58369 times)

Offline systema

• Just got here
Re: Throttle body clean.
« Reply #80 on: 12 April 2014, 00:24 »
82 miles and still sticking at 1400rpm and then dropping slowly :(
MK4 Golf GTi - 1.8T

Offline XMC1980

• Here all the time
  • Don't piss in my pocket and tell me it's raining!
« Reply #81 on: 12 April 2014, 03:00 »
Try cleaning MAF sensor or better still borrow one of a friend to see if it fixes it? Was it fine before you cleaned it? Did you plug everything back? (It's happened)
Mk4 1.8T 218ps AUQ

Head and turbo rebuild, jom coilovers, s200 induction, forge 007, anniversary body kit, 18" RS4 reps, Rtech remap stage1, turbo back stainless and miltek cat back

Offline systema

• Just got here
« Reply #82 on: 12 April 2014, 11:57 »
MAF sensor has recently been replaced with a Bosch one, so has the engine coolant temperature sensor - changed these due to rough idle which worked but then it started to stick at around 1200 rpm, so I cleaned the throttle body, reset it Etc. and it's still doing it at 1400rpm, just hopefully waiting for it to settle, rather annoying
MK4 Golf GTi - 1.8T

Offline james2

• I live here
  • No scammers please.
« Reply #83 on: 12 April 2014, 20:48 »
I had the pleasure of using this guide a few weeks ago on my Agu 1.8t
I also cleaned my I.A.T sensor (intake air sensor) using carb cleaner and a tooth brush (my mrs doesn't know it was hers) :grin:

Before cleaning the T.B, the car was idling very rough, struggled to start without giving the pedal some gas and would constantly stall at junctions and traffic lights. I was lucky if I got 18mpg around town (normal driving).

After unbolting the throttle body it was clear it hadn't been cleaned for some time. After a good scrub and blast of cleaner it looked as good as new. The I.A.T sensor was just as bad, I used a toothbrush and carb cleaner to clean the wire of the sensor, it was caked in black carbon and took some careful cleaning.

When all was back in place I turned the car over and it started first time no problems idle was high at 1800rpm for about 30secs then settled at 900/1000rpm.

It now runs much better, throttle response is smoother, no more kangaroo jumping and stalling and I easilly get over 30mpg around town (normal driving).

I recommend cleaning the I.A.T sensor at the same time it's only one allen bolt and a wiring plug to remove and it's out.

Worth trying before chucking big money at expensive replacement parts :smiley:

Where is the IAT Sensor? as i am still experiencing problems after cleaning the TB

Cheers.
+1
AGU 1.8T. Mods done: R32 front bumper, turborev smic, ngk platinum spark plugs, uprated pancake pipe, demon motorsport boost hoses, forge 007 dv, forge engine cover, r-tec stage 1 map ,home made cold airfilter ,run on 98 ron fuel and castrol edge 0w 40 oil. Advanti racing alloys.