Author Topic: kae - black mk3 8v  (Read 10419 times)

Online jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
kae - black mk3 8v
« on: 27 December 2007, 21:34 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
  • Mk3 8V GTI - Almost Standard.....
Re: kae - black mk3 8v
« Reply #1 on: 28 December 2007, 20:53 »
Thanks JV  :cool:.

Wow, 'tis cool that 24 people have read an empty thread  :rolleyes:, however, I'm going to rectify that now and actually write something  :nerd:.

A 40mph parking manoeuvre by a woman in a Ford Focus Estate killed my last car.  It was a VW Polo, 1.4 MPI (Very slow, not particularly economic but a good work horse), completely standard, apart from a Sony HU.

The damage that you can see is bad enough, the damage underneath all the bent mental meant that the car was a write-off!

So, I fancied something faster, but my brain told me to buy a diesel.  I spent five weeks looking for a new car (around work, using a courtesy car paid for by her insurance :D).  Almost bought two diesels but both times their was something wrong so I didn't go ahead (Perfect condition inside and out must mean something different to car salesmen  :rolleyes:).

Anyway, my practical diesel became a 2.0ltr 8V MKIII Golf GTI!

Dealer Photographs:

Paid £1700 for her.  80K miles, reasonable condition. 

However, everything was not perfect (don't you just hate car salesmen? Perfect mechanical condition my arse....).

1 - Stalling at junctions - cleaned crank case breather pipes and throttle body fixed this  :smiley:

No picture of the horrible yellow gunk that filled the breather pipes though.

2 - Car ran cool, never reached 90C unless in traffic - New thermostat fixed this
3 - Corroded rear brake pipes - Replaced
4 - Glove box handle broken off - Replaced
5 - Clean off dealer's advertising - removed most of it and realised what I had left:

So I left that bit on,  :evil:.

Still to do:

6 - Front bumper mis-aligned - Needs removing and refitting
7 - Rust patch on driver door and rear N/S 1/4 panel - rub down and repaint
8 - N/S Headlight full of water - replacemend bought from forum member (Cheers, Xav  :wink:).
9 - Alarm fitter placed alarm deactivate button on the center console next to where your left leg sits (so alarm blips and hazards flash randomly as you lean against it going round corners!) - needs recessing.
10 - Generally clean and rustproof engine bay
11 - Pollen filter needs replacing (Does no-one do these at the service, it looks disgusting!)
12 - Find all rattles (Already have a handful of plastic that I've found in various places, including lots of red golf Tee's!)
13 - Replace broken fog lamp - entire back is missing! (Ordered from scrappy).
14 - Replace O/S mirror motor and heated glass - crappy replacement put in by last owner magnifies everything to stupid proportions! Scary to use!
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 22:21 by kae »
It if can't be achieved with brute force and ignorance, then the Haynes manual will have to be read!

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 28 December 2007, 21:31 »
Frosty Golf!

Oooh, forgot to mention, thanks to Xav, I now have a VR6 front spoiler to put on (I'll put it on when I remove the bumper to re-align it).

I'm off next week (Decided to have a week off between finishing my current job and starting my new one) so I'm hoping for good weather so I can get all these jobs done!

I did just over 100 miles today and returned 39.5mpg on a combination of motorway and fast country lanes with a little town driving! 
Motorway driving at 65mph gives me 42mpg+ and town driving is 27 - 33 depending on traffic.

Oh, and my most important modification to date is my "Rabbit Injection" badge and Golf GTI forum window stickies! 

Gotta love this Golf, Kae  :cool:
« Last Edit: 28 December 2007, 22:10 by kae »
It if can't be achieved with brute force and ignorance, then the Haynes manual will have to be read!

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 28 December 2007, 22:12 »

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2007, 22:31 »
Extreme boredom set in, so I made a new splash screen for my Tom Tom  :nerd:

Kae  :smiley: :cool:

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2007, 17:45 »
At last!  The OE Head unit eventually comes out of the dash! Woooooooohooo!

Very weird locking mechanism to hold the HU into the cage (Pic's to follow), but thanks to Ruji I've got the barsteward out!

Kae.

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2007, 17:23 »
I cleaned her for the first time last night, no photo's though as it was very dark by the time I'd finished  :rolleyes:.

Anyway, a bit of bad news, found another bit of rust for me to repair this week  :undecided:, just above the number plate on the boot.

Oh well, at this rate, I'll be respraying the entire car piece by piece!

Kae  :cool:

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 01 January 2008, 17:46 »
As I'm sure everyone does on New Year's Day, I decided to do some work to the car  :cool:.

Firstly, one clean (but a bit damp) Golf - The bonnet has been opened so that's why it doesn't look right.

Second, Remove grill, bumper and lights:

I did this so that I could clean up any rust, re-align the bumper (you can adjust the locator's where the bumper slides into them on the side of the car) and fit a new N/S headlight (this doesn't need the bumper removed).

At the same time I fitted the VR6 lower front Skirt.  No pictures of it on the car (as it was very dark again when I'd finished), but this picture shows the difference between it and the standard GTI skirt.

Whilst the car was apart, I removed the battery tray and airbox and repaired a little bit of rust underneath both.  Re-painted the battery tray (these always go rusty) and cleaned the main earth's underneath the tray (just for good measure).
Also cleaned the MAF, TB (and reset it) and Crankcase breather pipes again (nothing new, but just for the hell of it really).

So, 6 hours and a lot of work and still lots to do! Doh!  Kae  :laugh:

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 03 January 2008, 17:21 »
I received a replacement O/S wing mirror today that I bought from fleabay as mine has a knackered motor in it and stupid magnifying glass without heater elements.

The advert of fleabay was as follows:

"volkswagon golf  mk3 rh drivers side electric mirror  in very good condition no cracks ect and in perfect working order with silver back  please check my other items"

This "perfect working order" mirror had one or two little problems.... namely the incorrect glass, so no heating elements, and black sealant (gooey looking substance in circular housing, and behind white sticky back foam that held the crap mirror in)in the motor's welding them into position!! So it didn't work at all!
A word of warning to everyone, DO NOT BUY FROM    cosworthzx9r (Joe Dingle)!

Anyway, a small journey to car transplants and I bought the motor's out of a mk5 polo (exactly the same as the mk3 golf  :cool:) for almost nothing, and then paid VW £40 for a new piece of glass!
Bloody expensive glass, wonder if it's bullet proof!?!?!

Anyway, another little job completed.

Kae.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2008, 17:34 by kae »

Offline kae

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2008, 17:40 »
Well, a day spent rust hunting!

Takes forever!

The biggest problem was that I have had to drill all the screw supports in the rear bumper (for the number plate and plastic strip above lock and lights as the screws have rusted in), these are now removed after a lot of persuasion! So now need to seal the holes and paint to stop more rust!  Then use sticky pads to attach the new number plate and probably tiger seal for the plastic strip.

Fortunatley all the rust is superficial surface rust with very little damage to the metal underneath so that's something.

Perfection takes forever!

Kae.