Author Topic: pioneer unit trouble  (Read 3613 times)

Offline gazzagtiT

• Here all the time
  • Houston, we hav a pic here!!
pioneer unit trouble
« on: 20 November 2003, 00:03 »
i've just posted this in the chat section, then realised i should of put it here!
i've recently bought a pioneer mp3 for me 1.8 gtiT, buy it's not keeping it's memory, when ever i programe channels in or listening to a c.d it doesn't remember where i finished off, i havn't had a chance to check the wiring yet but seemed pretty straight forward, plug from unit then onto standered golf wiring DONE! how wrong could it go??? just wondered if ant1 has had any similar probs!cheers?! ???

Its all better now very shiny, but now the windows have gone again! and shocks are squeaking like mice!!aarrgghhh

Veedubgt18v

Re:pioneer unit trouble
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2003, 00:06 »
you havent got a constant 12v feed so the headunit cant remeber anything cos essentially it just gets disconnected every time you switch of the ignition.  

Blue MK2

« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2003, 10:47 »
on the headunit wiring..........

You get the RED+ and the thick YELLOW memory wire

Connect these two wires together and join them to the 12v supply.

Simple.  ;D

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2003, 14:49 »
Sorry to disagree Blue Mk2, but thats a bit of a cowboy hack to solve the problem!!!

The reason you have two wires (one permananet, one switched) is so that the head unit will switch off when the ignition key is removed. By doing what you have suggested, our man will no longer have the capability to do that, as his head unit will be permanantly energised.

The reason he has this memory loss problem is because he has the wires the wrong way round, simple as that.

What you need to do is this;

Half way along the (head unit) loom you will see the red and yellow leads have bullet connectors on them. simply unplug them and swap them round, so that the wire that starts as red becomes the yellow one and vice versa.

This has the same effect as swapping their positions within the ISO block, and will mean that the requirement for permanent live is matched to the 12 volts from the car, and the switched 12 volts requirement is matched to the ignition live.

The reason this is needed is because car manufacturers and audio companies cannot agree on which position in the block should be which, so each manufacturer produces head unit looms that have the ability to swap the power over without the need for dodgy wiring hacks or connections.

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Blue MK2

« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2003, 18:18 »
lol thas what i was supposed to mean (swap them around). Sorry for any confusion.

COWBOY! CAWBOI!! IM A TRAINEE ELECTRICIAN!  LOL ;D
« Last Edit: 20 November 2003, 18:20 by Blue MK2 »

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2003, 23:09 »
LOL, sorry dude!!! :-X

Offline gazzagtiT

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2003, 09:05 »
 ;D :D ;D :D ;) ;D
Very happy me, cheers alot s11eps, i just ran out to me car in the rain to swap them round in guess what ? it's sorted good an done, my arms cut to bits though reaching round the back to let the wires pull through but it's worth it cheers again mate!!

Its all better now very shiny, but now the windows have gone again! and shocks are squeaking like mice!!aarrgghhh

Offline gazzagtiT

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2003, 09:06 »
oh an thanks to blue mk2 who ment the same thing!

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2003, 13:18 »
No worries buddy, a pleasure!!!

I know what it feels like when your choons aren't behaving themselves!!

R1D3R

« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2003, 18:21 »
have any of u had a problem pushing the unit fully in to the point where it clicks? mine is out by about a mm because the amp wire heads are to phatt. so when i push it in these heads rest against the back and try and push the unit out! god its doing my head in. cos i cant exactly cut the heads off the leads. any ideas?

dizzie suggested getting a male to female adaptor with smaller heads but i really cant be assed to go into town lol.

anyone? (if not i suppose its a trip to town)

cheers