Author Topic: Wireless Charging Saga  (Read 7148 times)

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
Re: Wireless Charging Saga
« Reply #20 on: 30 April 2018, 16:26 »
OK good to know thanks Evo.

I was definitely told by my dealer at time of order, that like my current GTD which also has the climate windscreen fitted, that although unlike last time VW were not making you having to select the advanced phone option when ordering this windscreen option, they did tell me that the Wireless Phone pack did also give the same sort of boost functionality to the phone that my current 2016 advanced phone prep does. As you rightly say though, on checking the description in the brochure it doesn't implicitly state this, but it was one of the reasons I selected it. Guess it's my word against their's.

In any case, if they are removing a part of a new car that came with a feature (be it advertised or not), and hacking a brand new car apart this isn't something surely that's normal practise ?

Understood mate, then I guess your gripe is going to have to be with the dealer / salesman rather than VW them selves that told you it had a signal booster. Not sure how on earth they would have known it actually had that feature when it doesn't state it anywhere in the features.............

Like you say its your word against theirs

Hope you enjoy the new car I am sure it will be great what ever the outcome

Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 30 April 2018, 17:20 »
Not sure how on earth they would have known it actually had that feature when it doesn't state it anywhere in the features.............

Probably because many salespeople have little product knowledge Lee, but spout any old twaddle to give the impression to the lesser informed that they do.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline DanDuda48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2018, 00:15 »
BTW, Lee, what is Mobile Phone interface - Business actually doing that Discover Pro does not have? I was curious about that for some time. As mentioned before, on 2016 GTD if one ordered the climate windscreen, Advance telephone connection had to be ordered too... So what does the Mobile Phone Interface - Business do that's worth having? Thanks.
2018 Golf GTI PP White Silver; DCC, Discover Pro; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints.
2016 Golf GTD Oryx white; DCC; Tech pack [=Discover Pro + Dynaudio]; Sport & Sound; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 01 May 2018, 08:40 »
The offending article  ;D .

Checked it out at the dealers last night and the wireless charging function works great, and it has 2 USB sockets (like my current GTD). One as you can see in the photo above, however it's a lower profile one than in the current car and the moulding for the USB housing is now floating and doesn't rob the cubby of width like before. Oh and no AUX (which I've never used anyway), presumably to allow better access to the bigger phones ?

The second USB socket is right inside the armrest centre cubby (as per the current GTD that has the advanced phone prep). The only (very slight) disappointment is that there is no elastic band holder to hold the phone in place like currently so the phone when connected in here will rattle around. I might have to rig something up here for future, or cover the insides of the armrest cubby with the felt like flock that lines the door bins (seen it done on another forum).

Other than that, I've checked all the trims in the boot where they were taken apart to remove the amplifier and it all looks brand new and solid as a rock (you genuinely can't tell someones been in there) and the paintwork on the rear bumper is still unmarked. Happy days.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2018, 08:44 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 01 May 2018, 09:25 »
I guess AUX is gone because nobody is using it any more... reasonable cost saving for VW IMHO.

Most of the latest phones are dropping headphone jacks anyway and most of the ones in the last few years support either Bluetooth audio streaming or are being connected with Android Auto or Car Play.

I remember when an AUX input was the height of advanced technical capability! But not used it myself in many moons - not since my cars offered a USB stick/SD card instead.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 01 May 2018, 10:39 »
Agree Fred, I also remember being very smug when my Vauxhall I had at the time (yes I know), came with an 3.5mm AUX socket which was quite new to the market. All my friends though it was super cool.

However today for me it's either Radio, Android Auto (with either Spotify or Tunein Radio) or music on the SD card. Never used the 3.5mm socket ever in any of my previous VW's.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #26 on: 01 May 2018, 14:00 »
LOL one of the Vectra's I had had it as a MY change and I was terribly excited to get one with an AUX port when my colleague's ones didn't have it.

The oneupmanship of company car drivers :D

But now I just look at it as a fluff filled hole that I don't use.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 01 May 2018, 15:22 »

But now I just look at it as a fluff filled hole that I don't use.

:shocked:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.