Author Topic: mk1 1.1 formel E to 20valve turbo project thread  (Read 39835 times)

Offline minimat

• GTI forum regular
Re: mk1 1.1 formel E to 20valve turbo project thread
« Reply #50 on: 28 September 2011, 08:00 »
Thanks!

Managed to get an hour yesterday but that was all :( got new wheels on along with the arch trims, also figured out why back lights weren't working (stupid dodgy earth)

Windscreen place also came and fitted new screen and refitted back one. Just need to put wipers on then it's ready to test!!

Mat

Offline minimat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #51 on: 28 September 2011, 22:37 »
well heres an update ive been waiting for, managed to get a few hour in after finishing uni and before starting work so thought i know il work on the golf lol  :rolleyes:

managed to get the last few finishing bits on to make it legal, so got it mot'd.... And it PASSED!!! only advisory was pitted front discs and as there destined for the bin it doesnt matter

first impressions are its slow, like i need to get the 20v in now slow lol. but seriously drives lovely, definately needs beeting with the low stick now tho. Also ignore the front number plate, i just stuck it there to get it tested as it will be going on the front splitter but i need to do a bracket first. Needs a good polish and the interior putting back in (im on the lookout for a full mk1 gti interior if you have one). Oh and the alternator died just for laugh on way home

anyways here it is now, thoughts welcomed as ever
mat

and as it stood three weeks ago

Offline daz veedub

• Forum addict
  • Operation 1.8t bolf
« Reply #52 on: 28 September 2011, 22:41 »
top job mate  :cool:

a classic is reborn  :cool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #53 on: 28 September 2011, 22:58 »
Fecking amazing turnaround... wish I had the time and funds to work this fast.

Looks ace and congrats on the MOT pass.

Here's to phase 2. :afro:

Offline minimat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #54 on: 29 September 2011, 08:09 »
Thanks, it hasn't been a massive cost this far, it's been more my time. And since I don't have any of that its meant grabbing an hour before work or working on it until midnight.

Biggest cost now will be bribing the girlfriend to get her off my back ready for stage 2 lol

Mat

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #55 on: 29 September 2011, 09:22 »
Thanks, it hasn't been a massive cost this far, it's been more my time. And since I don't have any of that its meant grabbing an hour before work or working on it until midnight.

Biggest cost now will be bribing the girlfriend to get her off my back ready for stage 2 lol

Mat

Good luck with that... Who's gear did you use to spray it then?  Works?

Offline minimat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #56 on: 29 September 2011, 11:54 »
my dad has a garage, so they have a compressor for the air tools and a old spray gun for blasting primer on stuff theyve welded(not ideal for trying to do bodywork). So its not like ive had great facilitys lol, its got the worst lighting of any workshop in the country and its permenantly dusty because of the steel works next door. But its better than doing it on the drive (well maybe maybe not lol)

Anyways been trying to source some bits this morning, just stupid stuff like trim clips and a drivers door seal but there obsolete from vw so onto ebay it is then

mat

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #57 on: 29 September 2011, 12:50 »
my dad has a garage, so they have a compressor for the air tools and a old spray gun for blasting primer on stuff theyve welded(not ideal for trying to do bodywork). So its not like ive had great facilitys lol, its got the worst lighting of any workshop in the country and its permenantly dusty because of the steel works next door. But its better than doing it on the drive (well maybe maybe not lol)

Anyways been trying to source some bits this morning, just stupid stuff like trim clips and a drivers door seal but there obsolete from vw so onto ebay it is then

mat

Still, could be worse, could have nowhere or no kit.... Trim clips are regularly sold by the same seller on ebay at the mo..  Met him last year at a show. Apparently you can ask for specifics rather than the full kit that he usually lists.

Offline minimat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #58 on: 05 October 2011, 22:15 »
well few more finishing off bits done but since im working 2 jobs and in my final year at uni ive literally got no time at the minute :( but hey ho who needs sleep

Got some more interior bits back in, got the black strip on down the sides and stuck the gti splitter back on. Also refitted the pressed plate on the old bracket (this will be getting replaced)

Had some MAJOR grief with alternators, mine packed up so went all way to other side of thingytone for one, this was wrog as it had terminals not a multiplug, so went to lincoln and bought one with the correct multiplug only to realise when i got back it had different mounting points!!! So split both alternators made a frankenstienanator and now all is well and were charging properly lol

Also sourced some BIG brakes so just waiting for these to come

Pics as it stands at minute

mat

Offline travisreeve

• I live here
« Reply #59 on: 05 October 2011, 22:27 »
sweet mate lookin good when are you looking to start stripping it for the 20vt