Author Topic: Head Unit Upgrade  (Read 946 times)

Offline 2Stevo2

• Just got here
Head Unit Upgrade
« on: 12 November 2023, 18:36 »
Hi all,

New member here :)
I'm looking for some advice from you fine folk.

I am in the process of purchasing a 2011 mk6 Golf GTI DSG that has been imported from Japan.

I'm loving the look/feel/drive of the car but the one part that disappoints me is the Head Unit (Picture attached I think!!). It doesn't appear to have Bluetooth streaming and feels very dated. I'm also not convinced that it is doing the speakers justice.

Do you guys/gals have any recommendations for a straight plug and play Head Unit replacement? I'm thinking that it would be great to get one with an integrated amplifier if possible?? My google searches have came back with soo much I don't even know where to start with it.

Any advice/guidance/ recommendations would be much appreciated.

Offline Bluto

• GTI forum regular
Re: Head Unit Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2023, 17:30 »
Hi @2Stevo2

Obviously options depend on the budget you're thinking of spending on your new car.  A couple of years ago I upgraded my VW RNS510 sat nav unit with a Pioneer AVIC-Z930DAB unit.  That has DAB Radio, Wireless AppleCar Play, Wireless Android Auto and Sat Nav.  I upgraded the factory Shark Fin aerial for one that also does DAB and FM as well as GPS.

My Mk6 GTI has Dynaudio fitted which added a little bit of complexity to what bits I needed. 

Just be aware that fitting an aftermarket you'll probably lose the Audio and Navigation (if fitted) information on the Driver's Information Screen.  Plus if you wish to retain the current climate control screen, steering wheel controls and rear view parking camera (if fitted) you'll no doubt need some adapter harnesses.

Details of most of those things I've just mention you can find in this forum post

https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287915.0

Cheers

Bluto
Mk8 GTI Clubsport | Pure White | DCC | Black Estorils | HUD | a fair few options

Previous: Mk6 GTI | Candy White | Manual | DCC | Dynaudio | Cruise | Winter Pack | Lux Pack | Rear Camera & F/R Parking Sensors

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2023, 19:20 »
Rcd360pro if you want oem looks
Eonon Q53se Andoid 10 seems to be the most common cheaper upgrades.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline JSYGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2023, 06:32 »
Eonon have the VWA12S out now, running Android 12 and 6GB of RAM, well worth considering.

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2023, 16:23 »
Lookup the RCD330+ 1GB
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door