Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 556047 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1460 on: 06 November 2017, 17:25 »
Gave a mine the weekly wash yesterday.. well in this case it was 2 weeks!

The exhausts get pretty sooted on the GTI, I often do quite a few shorter runs in the week so always give them a good clean after the wheels. However, on closer inspection there was lots of tar spots/contamination, even after such a short period of time - only got the got early July and its done 4k now.

Anyway, everything came off with a combination of clay, Autoglym tar remover and then Carbon Collective metal polish. What do people use to seal these to help keep them looking clean - maybe some wax? I do have the Carbon Collective Platinum wheels which is a ceramic type coating, that could work?

Looks great Jim! So much so I had shiny tip envy :whistle: :wink: and had to go out and sort mine. While I was at it I washed my wheels and cleaned the black sill extensions underneath. So basically a bottom end buff-up :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1461 on: 06 November 2017, 20:18 »
Haha nice work! Can't stand to see the exhaust tips dirty!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #1462 on: 08 November 2017, 21:25 »
Came out of work today ...car covered in the biggest bird poop ever ,whole car covered..
So a couple of coats bilt hamber snow applied with a garden sprayer left to soak for ten mins ,
then a coat with snow foam lance and a good rinse......cars shining like s**t and i didnt even touch it ....
bilt hamber snow foam is magic i can highly recommend it .... :grin:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1463 on: 08 November 2017, 21:38 »
Came out of work today ...car covered in the biggest bird poop ever ,whole car covered..
So a couple of coats bilt hamber snow applied with a garden sprayer left to soak for ten mins ,
then a coat with snow foam lance and a good rinse......cars shining like s**t and i didnt even touch it ....

Sounds good (the foam, not the bird sh!t...). I need to do an order soon, will look it up :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #1464 on: 08 November 2017, 21:47 »

Sounds good (the foam, not the bird sh!t...). I need to do an order soon, will look it up :smiley:
5 litres only 16.95 on cyc bargin will last ages  :grin:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1465 on: 09 November 2017, 10:50 »
Bilt Hamber auto foam is great stuff, my second favorite snow foam after VP Advanced. I used it previously but it gave way to the VP.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #1466 on: 09 November 2017, 21:23 »
Bilt Hamber auto foam is great stuff, my second favorite snow foam after VP Advanced. I used it previously but it gave way to the VP.
VP Advanced was my favorite too till i tried bilt hamber the price alone is a no brainer....it takes all the muck off without touching the panels (maybe because im giving it a pre coat with a garden sprayer i dont know ),which is going to make my life easier this winter :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1467 on: 09 November 2017, 22:09 »
VP Advanced was my favorite too till i tried bilt hamber the price alone is a no brainer....it takes all the muck off without touching the panels (maybe because im giving it a pre coat with a garden sprayer i dont know ),which is going to make my life easier this winter :grin: :grin: :grin:

They are both great snow foams. For me VP just edges it but not by much. I find the combo of snow foam, followed by citrus pre wash gives amazing touchless results.  I dont skip the bucket wash though.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #1468 on: 09 November 2017, 22:36 »
Agreed, no matter how clean it looks after snow foam and rinse, its always a hand wash with the lambswool mitt. Or else you'll be rubbing some small particles into your paint for sure and causing swirls.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1469 on: 12 November 2017, 14:05 »
Washed it. 

Winter detail delayed atm due to other commitments but decided to try out Swissvax Shield on bonnet and roof in the meantime, as this is what it will have on as protection over winter months.   Prepped both by with panel wipe/cleaner fluid and applied.  A breeze to apply as with any other Swissvax wax, needs less hazing time though, and buffs off equally easily. Looking forward to seeing how it is before I do the whole car with it, when time permits.

http://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/swissvax-shield-wax.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1fbzs5a51wIVDbobCh2ZUQA4EAAYASAAEgLbLfD_BwE
« Last Edit: 12 November 2017, 14:13 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual