Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 556128 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1320 on: 13 September 2017, 22:16 »
That looks a very smart little Lupo Watts, very nicely turned out motor.  Great job and sure you will continue to tinker with it now you've started.  Lovely!
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1321 on: 13 September 2017, 22:50 »
That looks a very smart little Lupo Watts, very nicely turned out motor.  Great job and sure you will continue to tinker with it now you've started.  Lovely!

Thanks :smiley: OH never cleans it, maybe I'll maintain it if I get let off some household tasks...

Shame though as I found some rust bubbling up under the paint in one of the roof gullies, awkward location for a repair. Needs 4 new tyres and the windscreen is showing signs of delaminating. But she likes it and it has been of little bother so far (only done about 45k miles). What to do, repair, ignore or replace :undecided:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #1322 on: 17 September 2017, 12:17 »
Nothing on my GTI today but instead, just because I'm nice (and didn't want to have to do work in the garden :whistle:), I gave my OH's Lupo a good going over. We've had it from new (April 2003) and I doubt it has ever had this much attention before. There were parts of the car that could easily have supported a crop of spuds, it was minging. The interior wasn't too bad just tired and grubby. A good vacuum and dust to start, a wipe over everything inside with a damp mf then a good spray and wipe with Poorboys natural look dressing. Inside of windows got a clean with AG Fast Glass then I washed all the door shuts, dried, treated with Tardis as there were marks which I think had always been there that wouldn't wash off, that did it though. Then washed dried and a QD had the door shuts looking really good :smiley:

Exterior washed, Tardis where needed then a good go with my Wo-Wo clay mitt. That had it all really good and smooth. Wash, rinse, dry, wax (FinishKare 1000P) and a QD all over. All black plastics, seals and tyres treated to FinishKare Top Kote and glass given a coating of Gtechniq C2v3. Really pleased how it came out, I think it could do with another good clean to finish some of the niggly bits that I missed this time plus a polish once I get a DA (good for a practise, better than trying it out on mine for the first time :laugh:). All in all though, I think it doesn't look too bad for a 14 year old car that has never been garaged!

I think Mrs Watts is due an upgrade.
You could have bought her an Up! GTI with all the money you've spent on detailing products this year :wink:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1323 on: 17 September 2017, 12:32 »
You could have bought her an Up! GTI with all the money you've spent on detailing products this year :wink:

I have offered many times but she loves her Lupo (not quite enough to keep it clean though :rolleyes:). It's only done 45k miles so loosening up nicely now! I think she likes to retain old outdated stuff, probably why I'm still around :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1324 on: 17 September 2017, 12:41 »
After a few weeks without, found time for a quick wash between rain showers.  Want it clean for when it goes in for service next week.  Was pretty grubby.  Probably was a waste of time as the sky is looking menacing! 

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1325 on: 17 September 2017, 14:22 »
After a few weeks without, found time for a quick wash between rain showers.  Want it clean for when it goes in for service next week.  Was pretty grubby.  Probably was a waste of time as the sky is looking menacing!

Looks good Rebecca.

I also try and make sure my car is clean and looking it's best when it goes back to the dealer for servicing or warranty work, as I think it's easier to spot any dealer inflicted damage on a clean car. Not always easy to get it there clean though as it's a 25-30 mile trip to the dealer, and the service is due at the beginning of March when the weather can be messy. So, it might be clean when I set out, but anything other than clean when I get there.  :angry:

All being well, I'll be giving my car 'the works' this week, but it's dependent on the weather staying fine. If the weather is kind to me, I'll post some pictures up.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2017, 16:31 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1326 on: 17 September 2017, 15:21 »
After a few weeks without, found time for a quick wash between rain showers.  Want it clean for when it goes in for service next week.  Was pretty grubby.  Probably was a waste of time as the sky is looking menacing!

It's never a waste of time with results like that!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1327 on: 17 September 2017, 16:42 »

Looks good Rebecca.

I also try and make sure my car is clean and looking it's best when it goes back to the dealer for servicing or warranty work, as I think it's easier to spot any dealer inflicted damage on a clean car. Not always easy to get it there clean though as it's a 25-30 mile trip to the dealer, and the service is due at the beginning of March when the weather can be messy. So, it might be clean when I set out, but anything other than clean when I get there.  :angry:

All being well, I'll be giving my car 'the works' this week, but it's dependent on the weather staying fine. If the weather is kind to me, I'll post some pictures up.

Thanks STGTD.  I always send mine in to the dealer clean with the usual do not wash hangers, key tag and instructions.  That way I can take them round it at pre-service inspection and no risk of them saying later it was dirty and any dealer damage was there already.  Don't take any chances with stuff like that. But my dealer is only 3 miles down road so I don't have the challenge you have hit being miles away.  :sad:

Well fingers crossed the weather is good for you. I look forward to hearing about it and seeing the pics.  :smiley:  It's frustrating when you want to crack on and do a full detail and then the weather is crap.  Mine needs planning in but as I have the tent, I'm no longer at the mercy of the weather (unless it's very windy), but finding time is the challenge instead!  A spare 2/3 days without commitments/work are very hard to come by!  :undecided:

2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1328 on: 17 September 2017, 16:43 »

It's never a waste of time with results like that!

Well so far so good, the rain has kept away although I've probably just jinxed by saying that.  :grin:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #1329 on: 17 September 2017, 17:00 »

I have offered many times but she loves her Lupo (not quite enough to keep it clean though :rolleyes:). It's only done 45k miles so loosening up nicely now! I think she likes to retain old outdated stuff, probably why I'm still around :laugh:
Fair play to her then.
It sounds like she'd rather upgrade you then her Lupo: )
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16