Author Topic: Cleaned out my IC...  (Read 3583 times)

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Cleaned out my IC...
« on: 24 February 2014, 13:24 »
A few weeks ago I was having issues with quite alot of white smoke under acceleration, since then the smoke has clearaed up and car is running fine...

ARL 150 - So I checked out the cams, they are fine. The oil was down, so topped it up and have noticed that is burning quite alot of it  :lipsrsealed:

I had my bumper of this weekend so I checked the pan cake pipe and the lower IC hoses and found this...

Now I don't recall ever taking these off while I have owned the car so is this 'normal' for almost 150k on the same turbo/IC...There was also a small bit of oil in the pancake pipe.

Any ideas...

Thankssssss

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
Re: Cleaned out my IC...
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2014, 21:15 »
looks a bit mingin. its usually to do with the oil breather system. best to fit a catch can and egr delete, this helps a lot
i think i love you.....

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2014, 14:49 »
I would advise against EGR delete after I read this

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/05/dont-block-or-remove-the-egr-valve-its-saving-you-money/

I bet mine is the same (150PD). I'll get the IC off and flush it out soon as I have clip issues throughout my boost pipes :(
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2014, 18:16 »
Weird as my fuel economy never suffered on my 130 and it doesnt on my Audi  :undecided:

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2014, 20:17 »
Im not totally convinced about keeping the EGR for fuel economy sakes, even if it does gain you another 1-2mpg it'll soon be offset by the sh!t building up in the intake and restricting flow.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2014, 20:17 »
Interesting site though.

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2014, 23:20 »
I would advise against EGR delete after I read this

http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/05/dont-block-or-remove-the-egr-valve-its-saving-you-money/

I bet mine is the same (150PD). I'll get the IC off and flush it out soon as I have clip issues throughout my boost pipes :(

Intesting read indeed.

Could this explain like the 30psi spike I get at low rpm when booting it? As I always thought I had a huge overboost issue...But this article makes absolute sense of my 'overboost' issue as I do not get this 'overboost' at high RPM.

No way I'm putting my EGR back in though  :lipsrsealed:

Offline EsSeX dAn

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2014, 23:28 »
makes sense i suppose. but as said, im not in any mad rush to refit it! id rather just squirt a bit of mr muscle in the downpipe side of the turbo ocassionaly to keep the vnt mech clear and give the actuator a good move!
i think i love you.....