Author Topic: 18" on a mk3  (Read 2010 times)

Offline jims13

• GTI forum regular
18" on a mk3
« on: 11 March 2006, 19:16 »
and before you start theres agood reason for it.

i have just brought the wifey a 2.0 8v mk3 5door , the car itself is fine but the wheels have seen better days. we have however some 18" alloys sitting on her now broken 2.5v6 vectra. the wheels should fit, as they are a multifit wheel, but didnt no about the arch cearance on the golf, its completey standard, so what do you think

oh and no your a chav comments, coz im not, i just dont wanna fork out fo new wheels after buying the car and leaving the other ones on aint  a option.

jim
jim

info@jpautomotive.co.uk
07747 004740

vag parts and tuning

Offline Fielder

• Here all the time
Re: 18" on a mk3
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2006, 16:44 »
i know of a team currently fitting 24'' onto a mk3 VR6, but ive said too much already........  :wink:

hahahaha fielders a c**k. sorry but he is just a tit. What a waste of forum space for that moron.

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2006, 17:41 »
bet that looks well f**ked :grin:
:)

Offline GTI EDITION (aka LTD)

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2006, 18:06 »
I have 18s on mine but they do touch the arches on the rear so I've refitted the standard springs on the rear until the arches are modded as the 18s actually touch, not at the top of the arch ,but at the front of the rear arch which is roughly in line with the side bump strip .
There have been comments about it looking over wheeled but I like the look although it will probably look better when it's eventually lowered.
At the end of the day do what you think suits your particular car as we all have different ideas and preferences about what looks best IMO .
( I have a lot of respect for others preference on style so I can only hope they have for mine  :smiley: )

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=19378

Does my arse look TOO BIG (to fit) in this (forum).... or was it something I said ?

Offline jims13

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2006, 20:37 »
thx, im hoping as its not lowered then it'll be ok. im might put ome springs on at a later date , if she asks. just the standard wheels are so crappy and e have these lying around, ill post some b4 and after pics, so you can have a looksie

jim
jim

info@jpautomotive.co.uk
07747 004740

vag parts and tuning

Offline d-dubz

• Not said much yet
  • Da Notorious Black $moke!
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2007, 12:17 »
I had dreems of putting 18's on my mk3  but i was told by a few garages that it can be done but may cause damage to arches even though they have been rolled. :undecided: - however i am still looking for someone who can roll the arches for me, but i dont like the vibrations when going over bumps? how can you stop this>? can this be allowed if certain springs can be fixed?

Offline mase

• Here all the time
  • mk3 madness!!!
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2007, 12:46 »
I had dreems of putting 18's on my mk3  but i was told by a few garages that it can be done but may cause damage to arches even though they have been rolled. :undecided: - however i am still looking for someone who can roll the arches for me, but i dont like the vibrations when going over bumps? how can you stop this>? can this be allowed if certain springs can be fixed?

ive been having the same dreams lol.  :cool:

an 8x18 wheel with a 215/35 tyre i think could be done, you will defo need the arches rolled, and possibly cut at the back to get them to fit, there was a yellow mk3 in PVW a little while ago with 18's, looked uber  :cool:

any decent body shop should be able to roll your arches, the rears on mine have actually been cut leaving no lip on the inside at all, which means i can totally load her up, with her already lowered 60mm, over 8.5x17 wheels with 215/40 tyres... and get only a tiny bit of rubbing when going over bumps.

basically... with a standard suspension set up, i cant see 18's causing any problems, might have to watch the offset on the vectra alloys tho.  :undecided:
Quote from: Slick#13
I still see there is a distinct lack of b!tch tit getting outage.

...word

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2007, 13:01 »
215/40's give a harsh ride. A 35 profile will be far worse!

Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

giffy1988

« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2007, 16:35 »
get 18s on the front and 17s on the back, thats what im thinking of doing bac would look slightly lower and would solve the prob of the 18s rubbing at the bac  :laugh:

Offline GTI EDITION (aka LTD)

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2007, 16:47 »
215/40's give a harsh ride. A 35 profile will be far worse!

To be perfectly honest Len, I don't find the ride harsh at all on 35's and a mate who runs a VR6 Vento on standard suspension and wheels/tyres reconds that mine is just as comfortable if not more so than his  :huh: .(and no his suspension/tyres are not knackered  :wink:)

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=19378

Does my arse look TOO BIG (to fit) in this (forum).... or was it something I said ?