Author Topic: 1990 Golf Driver Dashboard Swap  (Read 1210 times)

Offline mjamoose

• GTI forum regular
  • I'm off a hunting! (for a head gasket)
1990 Golf Driver Dashboard Swap
« on: 26 March 2005, 16:58 »
Hey there, Just bought my first car, 1990 Golf Driver.
I have the old style instrument cluster with the speed dial on the left and an analog clock on the right.
What I want to do is change the instrument cluster to a GTI one or one with a rev counter, how would I go about doing this and could I Use a MK3 Dash or is the connection block different?  I have heard that there are two different types of connector for the mk 2. One was one bank of connections, the other was two smaller banks, but still on the same block!
If anyone can help that would be great!
WARNING DRUMMER ON THE LOOSE :evil:

Offline Snap

• GTI forum regular
  • Just smile, stop being miserable!! :-)
Re: 1990 Golf Driver Dashboard Swap
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2005, 18:02 »
Youve double posted. Mk3 dash is possible. Have a look in the projests section, Dizzie has a mk3 dash in his mk2.
'92 1.8 Mk2 Golf, carbed GU... [SOLD]

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2005, 17:11 »
I think the clocks are a direct swap, but not having done it I'm not 100% sure.

putting a mk3 dash in takes a lot of time and you need to know how to weld, solder, cut the dash and fibreglass sections of your heater vents to get it all working. I have quite a few pics of during my dash swap if you want them.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline Andyfitz

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2005, 20:27 »
If your existing clocks and your GTI clocks are the old style with 2 connecting blocks then as dizzie says it's a direct swap :)

I have done this in mine as another member told me the above, Works a treat, Just need to wire the MFA up when I can be bothered to fit all the sensors!