Author Topic: 2 questions.  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Crash

• Not said much yet
2 questions.
« on: 29 September 2004, 13:38 »
Hey all, I have bought some hydraulic bonnet lifts for my Golf MK2 GTI and well I opened up the packet and low and behold its all in german, bah!! thought to my self how hard can it be, well looked in the screw packets and they give you 2 ball joint's with the threads attached to fasten them to the body, but one of them is a nut and bolt, how the hell are you suppose to be able to get to the inside of the wing or the bonnet to fasten that one ? the other one by the way is a self tapper.

And the other question is I have had a problem with my Tachometer and trip meter not clocking up but the speedo moves ok, have bought a second hand one at the VW Action fair and that has 170k on the clock my one has 123k so trying to keep this original one, opened it up and the original is a sealed unit VDO make the one i bought is a Motorworks version which i can stip down to the last screw, go figure!!.

Anybody know anything about these so i can actually swap the innerds so i can keep the milage on my original one.

Thanx

Crash

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
Re: 2 questions.
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2004, 12:57 »
the insides of the wings can be accessed under the arch, but I'm guessing you still have the 'sh!t catchers' in there stopping you seeing them.

I'm sure on mine the 2 ball headed screws just screwed into where I took the old bolts out. the one on the bonnet went on the higher of the 2 bolts when open and the one on the wing went 2 bolts up inline with the start of the suspension top.

you can wind your clocks back manually, but it's a very slow process. you can't just stick a power drill on like you do when adding miles. once you've cracked the speedo open you should once you've removed a sort of spiral peice wind them back. to knock off 50k though you'll be there ages. you might be able to hook up a drill to turn it fast, but remember to lift the needle over that little pin at 10mph else it'll snap going fast in reverse.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Fielder5757

« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2004, 00:04 »
Have you taken the "sh!t catchers" off then diz?

Offline GavG60

• Here all the time
  • keep my credit cards away from me please :-(
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2004, 09:36 »
the ball joints go on to the top bonnet nut where the hinge is attached, I'm sure when i did mine because of the thread on the bolt you don't need the nut.....

gav