Author Topic: ipod and cable things...  (Read 3775 times)

Offline [han]

• I live here
  • Graphic Designer for Haribo
ipod and cable things...
« on: 03 January 2006, 10:49 »
I've been told i can possibly use my ipod with one of the 3.5mm jack things.. i think thats wat they're called... they had a red and white on one end, and a single phono thing on the other i think... (i already have the cable)

If  i was to put this cable from back of my head unit, where would i be able to bring the cable out so i can attach my ipod to it!

Hope someone can help!

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
Re: ipod and cable things...
« Reply #1 on: 03 January 2006, 11:08 »
The thing here is that because the lead you're talking about is a simple signal lead you won't have any control of the iPod from your head unit. This means that if you want any control of the iPod (skipping tracks/changing playlists or atists etc) then the iPod needs to be visible and within reach, therefore you're looking at a dash mount solution.

The far better solution is to use a cable that will allow the headunit to control iPod functions (including charging the thing up) as this will allow you to take the cable through into the glovebox and mount it securely (and out of sight). However, your headunit might not have the ability to do this, so you'll need to check. What head unit are you using?

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 January 2006, 11:16 »
nah i know my head unit ain't compatible for that function, its a bog standard, 2 yr old KDS-73R i think, a lil jvc one! Whats the cheapest that has that capability? i've had this discussion with our techincal support at work, and no one seems to be sany the wiser than me... all sorts has been menitoned in other threads i know!  :kiss:

Offline S11EPS

• I live here

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 03 January 2006, 11:39 »
yeah, i won't buy a head unit from ebay tho... if anyone knows compatible models... we have some new units at work which can charge ipods with dock and they're about £45 depending on the options... i'll have to upgrade my stereo tho, prob have to spend about £200, but atleast i can move it with me, when i change cars.. when i finally get the money for a cab!  :drool:

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2006, 22:42 »
Well, if you're not keen on buying from eBay, you can buy at that money from other sources:

Alpine headunit - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3823&cadid=7cf0f70c9d0bd07520abfa34dcf4b878

Appropriate connector - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3723&cadid=7cf0f70c9d0bd07520abfa34dcf4b878

I have a friend selling this exact set-up, 2 months old (so still under warranty) with all receipts etc, £175 + £8 postage.

Offline steviem

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 05 January 2006, 12:29 »
The Alpine is the best setup, in my opinion.
Its easy to mount the adapter in the centre console, when you take it out of its space, and then have the wire for the iPod in the space just above the ashtray.
Just depends on how much you can afford, tho.

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 05 January 2006, 12:43 »
im a student....

Offline steviem

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 05 January 2006, 13:01 »
That JVC you have can control CD changers?
What about this?
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4494.html

Offline [han]

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 05 January 2006, 14:26 »
yeah they're up to £65 from, work, less discount!  :wink: