Author Topic: Clutch on its way out......??  (Read 2067 times)

Rain

Re: Clutch on its way out......??
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2004, 19:39 »
im goner need it lol never done a vw only ford and vauxhalls, A friends goner give me a hand, he's done few before plus if i help him put a skyline clutch in he'll help me with mine, fair deal and saves on labour costs be interesting to do a skyline clutch its an imported GTR :D

Offline benjam_in

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2004, 12:44 »
I've a mk2 16 valver with nearly 125k on the clock and sometimes when accelerating hard in 3rd and 4th, the clutch appears to be slipping, i.e. the engine revs but I don't actually go make any progress (very similar to driving on snow). I can put her in 5th at 25mph, put but foot down and she pulls fine. Also there is no judder. 1st and 2nd appear to be fine, this has only started happening since yesterday and have driven about 18 miles with this happening.

Could my clutch be on the way out - if it was, I'd expect it to slip in every gear, not just 3rd and 4th.

Anybody got and ideas/suggestion please......?? ???

Thanks - Andy...

could be an oil seal has split and oil is leaking onto ur clutch!?

Golf Mk2 Gti 1988

Offline Andy Mc

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 07 September 2004, 17:53 »
It's a bit of a strange one this, since Friday the clutch has been fine, having driven 160 trouble free miles - I also had my mechanic look at it today and again, he could find no problems with it...... ???

I still think this could be an early warning sign so will soon have to think about replacing it :(
'90 16v

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2004, 10:09 »
Just read this again and have been thinking.

Is it only in those gears when accelerating hard?
If so i cant see its the clutch coz that would slip in lower gears as well.
Could be an oil seal that only leaks bad enuff at very high pressure.

I am beginning to think its more like a gearbox problem, could be a synchro ring or sumthin.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline Andy Mc

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2004, 21:41 »
Yeh it's only in 3rd and 4th, 3rd more especially but again, tonite I gave it some boot on the way home and she ran fine.

My mechanic said that some oil may have gotten onto the clutch plate (he did say when from but I can't remember) which will burn off after a while, which looks like has happened in this case.

The gear box does feel fine, no selection problems and the oil was changed last year....... :-\
'90 16v

Offline bigkev750

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2004, 22:02 »
if you replace the clutch you be sure to replace the gearbox input shaft oil seal as well as your rear main oilseal that will make sure you have no oil leaks and they are only a few quid good luck ;)