Author Topic: MK7 GTI (performance pack) vs MK7.5 GTI (non-performance pack) as a used buy  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Jay6

• Just got here
Hi All,
Two years ago I lingered on this website with the intention to buy a MK7 golf GTI, long story but that didn't happen at the time. Fast forward 2 years + I know I want to get one, infact in the next month or so.

Looking at a used buy and surprised that MK7 gti performance pack models are holding up so well, looking at 2014-16 models they range anything from 15-18k in a decent spec.
Also noticed that MK7.5 GTI (non-performance) are starting around 17.5k (car supermarkets).

I not driven a MK7.5 before but have drove the 7 expecting pretty much the same. I am not concerned with transmission, happy with DSG or manual. I intend to keep the car for 2 years or so. I am keen to hear from anyone who made this jump and opinions on what would be a better used buy at this time?

Thanks
Jay

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Swings and roundabouts in many ways.

Mk7 PP gets the diff and the bigger brakes. Mk7.5 non Performance gets the digital dash, better touchscreen and the LED headlights. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay was only available as an option on later Mk7's, whereas it's standard on the 7.5.

I think most on here would probably say buy on condition above all else and don't overpay.
7.5 GTD

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
I had the very same debate when I bought mine. I didn’t want to stretch my budget (man maths makes it too easy to drift into higher costs) so I thought hard about the things I’d benefit from every day, and the things I’d regret not having a year down the line.

Ultimately I decided UK roads and my driving ability mean I wouldn’t benefit from the extra few percent of performance as much as I would CarPlay, the improved headlights, adaptive cruise control, etc. I’m also a bit of a magpie for shiny shiny, so the newer exterior styling, the updated stereo and interior appearance, and digital dash are things I’d long for when I inevitably see them later on.

18-months and a remap later and I have no regrets.

Offline whogives

• Not said much yet
Hi All,
Two years ago I lingered on this website with the intention to buy a MK7 golf GTI, long story but that didn't happen at the time. Fast forward 2 years + I know I want to get one, infact in the next month or so.

Looking at a used buy and surprised that MK7 gti performance pack models are holding up so well, looking at 2014-16 models they range anything from 15-18k in a decent spec.
Also noticed that MK7.5 GTI (non-performance) are starting around 17.5k (car supermarkets).

I not driven a MK7.5 before but have drove the 7 expecting pretty much the same. I am not concerned with transmission, happy with DSG or manual. I intend to keep the car for 2 years or so. I am keen to hear from anyone who made this jump and opinions on what would be a better used buy at this time?

Thanks
Jay

As mentioned swings and roundabouts...... Personally I went for the MK7.5 the minor upgrades you get are nice the sat nav works on the dash, which is nice. Just has the feel of a upgraded car (Modern). Performance you could always have a standard map. 

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
We have just taken in a lovely MK7 GTI if what you want is nice spec, good history at the lower price point.

lhttps://00688.usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/golf/20-tsi-gti-220ps-5dr-carbon-grey-19-inch-santiago-alloys-leather-dynaudio-r7cfnwq
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.