Author Topic: New owner looking for opinions  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Jay166

• Not said much yet
New owner looking for opinions
« on: 07 March 2023, 21:55 »
Hello all. I am now the proud owner of a tornedo red 18MY GTD DSG estate. I am loving the car but am struggling with the dsg box (first auto owned in over thirty years). Really like the idea of the DTUK 240bhp plug in box but am concerned about the rise in torque being put through the gearbox. After looking at a lot of comments on here I am wondering if a TVS tcu tune would be a good idea, to (as claimed in the blurb) smooth out the driving style and handle the rise in torque. What are peoples thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Offline willni

• I live here
Re: New owner looking for opinions
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2023, 22:10 »
Friend has a DTUK or similar on his GTD, he had a few issues with the actual box to start but sent it back for repair and works normally now.

In short he loves it, has it on a low setting but gives him everything he wants and dsg box handles it fine. The boxes are good for more power anyway. Obviously a bespoke tune from someone like Revo, APR etc are a bit better but if you want to remove it a box is a no brainer.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Jay166

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2023, 21:18 »
It seems DTUK or Race Chip are the leaders in that area and lots of people on this forum seem to have good things to say about DTUK. Think I will take the plunge, cheers.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2023, 22:11 »
Give DTUK a ring in working hours and I'm sure they will help with any questions and worries you may have. Andrew the owner is a true car enthusiast and VW Audi group fanatic.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2023, 06:04 »
I had a DTUK plug in on my mk7 GTD albeit short lived. I had a few other tuning boxes over the years on different TDIs too. They wake the engine up considerably. I’d also recommend a pedalbox to improve throttle response as this makes a huge difference to drivability on part throttle.

Now where’s mcmaddy?  :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Jay166

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 March 2023, 18:06 »
Cheers for the advice. Will give him a call.