Author Topic: Anyone Fitted Tuning Box?  (Read 1290 times)

Offline gtdguy

• Not said much yet
  • VW Golf GTD :)
Anyone Fitted Tuning Box?
« on: 07 March 2012, 11:58 »
Hi,

Has anyone fitted a tuning box to a GTD or any diesel MK 6? i am thinking of getting one but i am a little bit nervous about it doing something to my GTD.

thanks Tom

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
Re: Anyone Fitted Tuning Box?
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2012, 12:19 »
Get it remapped  :wink:

Offline PenguinGTI

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2012, 14:08 »
Get it remapped  :wink:

Yep.

PM the Doc on here (although I'm sure he'll be along soon enough). From what I've heard he's had some great results on the GTD's and he seems like a decent enough guy.

From an objective point of view, a tuning box is easier to install (plug and play generally) and cheaper. So it can appear attractive. But a remap will set up your car much better. You may only see marginally improved figures with a remap (over a tuning box), but the way those figures have been achieved will be the difference. I'd err away from generic maps, but Doc installs custom remaps on cars on an individual basis, so you know the mapping has been specifically tailored to get the most out of your vehicle.

Maps are a bit more expensive, and a bit more hassle to install (because often the good tuners are a bit of a trek away) but the dividends you'll reap will be a smoother power delivery and longer life out of your engine.

Can't recommend a remap enough!

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 March 2012, 15:09 »
You should have read your other post.

GTD Remap - Void Warranty?
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.