Author Topic: performance panel filters & smoothed airboxes. real difference? placebo effect?  (Read 6371 times)

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Cheers mate have sent you a message :D

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Am finding conflicting ideas over smoothing the airbox...

Some people claim the ridges help distribute air evenly to all parts of the filter, help stop moisture build up getting to the filter etc. One guy claiming his green filter rusted and according to JBS it was because he smoothed his airbox! lol :)

Most people having good results obviously with the DSG intake stuff or 80mm ducting from front bumper up to the airbox...

Dunno wether smooth it or not really.

Offline Dan_GTI

• I live here
  • GTi addict formally known as yoof
When i first bought my golf i got a pipercross and 007p which was ok for abit but i wanted more induction noise and cooler air so went for a cheapo ebay cold induction kit that costs the same as the panel filter alone, the CAI (cold air induction) fits where your airbox is now and runs down below the battery to the bumper, i worried about ingesting water but unless you drive through a foot of it you should be ok although i pushed the cone filter as far upwards as it would go and havent had any problems yet, first thing you will notice is the dump valve noise is louder and adds as a bonus to the cooler intake temps. so if your not bothered about induction noise go for a panel filter and DSG mod but if you want it get the CAI  :cool:
« Last Edit: 16 September 2010, 22:20 by Dan_GTi »

MK4 H&R 50MM SPRINGS FOR SALE £100 BRAND NEW

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
induction ftw !!1
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Mate of mine has a carbonio CAI on his and it does sound sweet with the dump valve, his car has a ko3s and stage 2 revo map and some other bits but he's spent a fortune due to blown turbo, cam chain stuff etc lol. Sounds nice though, I'm looking forward to having a go when his exhaust is done (blowing downpipe somewhere) to see if it's a lot quicker than mine (ko3 :( ) - his spins up all the time but I put it down to cheap crap tyres more than full on power, he reckons its well over 250bhp! lol I don't agree but it does go well.

Would be nice though but not too fussed, nearly 30, don't wanna stand out toooo much :D

Thanks to northeast_gti-t there's a pipercross panel filter on it's way next week so theres a start (cheers again mate :))
« Last Edit: 17 September 2010, 01:49 by The Dave »

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
Mate of mine has a carbonio CAI on his and it does sound sweet with the dump valve, his car has a ko3s and stage 2 revo map and some other bits but he's spent a fortune due to blown turbo, cam chain stuff etc lol. Sounds nice though, I'm looking forward to having a go when his exhaust is done (blowing downpipe somewhere) to see if it's a lot quicker than mine (ko3 :( ) - his spins up all the time but I put it down to cheap crap tyres more than full on power, he reckons its well over 250bhp! lol I don't agree but it does go well.

Would be nice though but not too fussed, nearly 30, don't wanna stand out toooo much :D

Thanks to northeast_gti-t there's a pipercross panel filter on it's way next week so theres a start (cheers again mate :))
Best get it on a rolling road to see once he's sorted it  :evil:
and i worry at nearly 40  :lipsrsealed: :grin:
No problem Dave happy to help you out :afro:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline the_stink

• Forum addict
  • A3 140 TDI
yeha i found when i had my mkiv it did make a difference and esp once i fitted my DSG intake . . . . which was a doddle  :rolleyes:

Offline The Dave

• I live here
I think I will smooth it out just to see if it the sound is changed lol :) Unless I can find one ready done on here.. hmm good idea.

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
yeha i found when i had my mkiv it did make a difference and esp once i fitted my DSG intake . . . . which was a doddle  :rolleyes:

:grin: :grin: :grin:  :grin: :grin: :grin:

:lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Fitted a Pipercross filter today courtesy off Matt, possibly a bit more responsive but chatters/dumps off a bit louder which is cool, not too loud so does me :)

I know it's a dumb question but is it hard to take the whole airbox out? I think I'll at some point have a go @ smoothing it and maybe a few small holes on the wing side for a tad more induction noise?

I am gonna book it into R-Tech for the Forge TIP and 007p very soon, so I'm quite looking forward to that :D