Author Topic: performance panel filters & smoothed airboxes. real difference? placebo effect?  (Read 6370 times)

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
You can notice a difference, Both Rhys and I agree on this.

It makes is more responsive, nick from R-tech did tests on different intakes and found the DSG mod and pipercross to be the best all round set up.

The pipercross is reusable and helps with air flow.  You will get more of a dump sound and induction note.  :smiley:

(Knowing your luck it wont make any difference to your car and you will say its crap  :grin: )

no dude that was just standard airbox/filter vs pipercross

airbox smoothing is a bit pointless, the fins act as tumblers to evenly distribute the flow across the face of the filter so you dont end up with it sucking all the sh!t into one corner. Performance panel filter in a standard box is good enough, CAI is marginally better.

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Aye, remember reading your spec list :) It'd be nice to push the most outta it I can but cost effectiveness will go out the window if I do a full exhaust lol.

It's got a stealth stylee backbox on it, sounds ok quite deep and bassy, I'd like a bigger downpipe and sports cat ideally but we'll see.

See thats why I asked about the smoothed airbox. I have been googling and a lot of people say 0 gain. Some people say placebo effect. Some people say it sounds a tad louder, louder dumping/chattering noise...but no noticable gain purely from smoothing the airbox.

Confusing times, dunno wether to bother or not after I read all that hence asking the experts :)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
You can notice a difference, Both Rhys and I agree on this.

It makes is more responsive, nick from R-tech did tests on different intakes and found the DSG mod and pipercross to be the best all round set up.

The pipercross is reusable and helps with air flow.  You will get more of a dump sound and induction note.  :smiley:

(Knowing your luck it wont make any difference to your car and you will say its crap  :grin: )

no dude that was just standard airbox/filter vs pipercross

airbox smoothing is a bit pointless, the fins act as tumblers to evenly distribute the flow across the face of the filter so you dont end up with it sucking all the sh!t into one corner. Performance panel filter in a standard box is good enough, CAI is marginally better.

Ah ok  :cool:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
I think your right with the placebo affect.. just like the vr6 clutch upgrade because its single mass flywheel instead of dual mass you automatically assume its lighter and it turn giving better acceloration when infact single mass was slightly heavier.. Your mind works in mysterious ways lol
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
I think your right with the placebo affect.. just like the vr6 clutch upgrade because its single mass flywheel instead of dual mass you automatically assume its lighter and it turn giving better acceloration when infact single mass was slightly heavier.. Your mind works in mysterious ways lol

True  :laugh:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Hulmie

• I live here
  • White MK4 1.8T AGU K03s

True  :laugh:

Not all single mass flywheels are heavier. There heavier if you buy the wrong one. :grin:

mk4 R32 Golf, Reflex Silver, V6

Offline The Dave

• I live here
I probably bought the wrong one haha. It seems a bit revvier, responsive though. But a negligable amount, so yep - placebo effect haha.

Gonna do a bit of searching for the r-tech filter comparison tests if I can get search to work with 2 words or more! lol :)

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
Now your asking mate lol

I read the thread Hulmie and i swear if you get the vr6 flywheel from VW its slightly heavier no ?? I thought the only ones that are lighter are ones like the 14lb one from ECS etc..
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Hulmie

• I live here
  • White MK4 1.8T AGU K03s
i read the same post as you mate as i think we both inputted on the post.

mk4 R32 Golf, Reflex Silver, V6

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
too save you a bit more money bud i have a nearly new pipercross panel filter sat with my parts box not needed as im running a carbonio as said its as good as new and you can have it if you just want to cover postage cost  :wink: pm me if you like as i gotta go to work  :sad:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU