Author Topic: AK's mk3 16v 'Virginia'  (Read 45408 times)

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
Re: AK's mk3 16v 'Virginia'
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2013, 21:52 »
Nice to see you're getting stuck in straight away.  :smiley:

ABF chips are push fit so you should be fine dude.
that's what I waned to hear! :)

yep it'll just be money for the decent parts I want now I think.. soon some nice wheels and exhaust

Offline MereKat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2013, 08:28 »

cool man sounds like it should not be too hard.. easier than replacing piston rings as I first thought :)

yeah there's a hole in the cone for it, the sensor is in it but you can't see from the pic.

It's not hard, but chances are the bolts will be fairly seized. It'd probably take me half hour now that everything has been taken off already, but took about 4hours total when i originally did it due to stuck bolts!

Is yours a 16v air filter kit or have you made a hole to fit it in? I have a cone to put on but no where for the sensor :( Not sure it it's really needed with the warm weather i experienced this morning!

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2013, 15:39 »

cool man sounds like it should not be too hard.. easier than replacing piston rings as I first thought :)

yeah there's a hole in the cone for it, the sensor is in it but you can't see from the pic.

It's not hard, but chances are the bolts will be fairly seized. It'd probably take me half hour now that everything has been taken off already, but took about 4hours total when i originally did it due to stuck bolts!

Is yours a 16v air filter kit or have you made a hole to fit it in? I have a cone to put on but no where for the sensor :( Not sure it it's really needed with the warm weather i experienced this morning!

I don't know if it is, I got the cone from eBay for cheap and it had a hole in the plastic for it already. surely you can drill an opening for yours? I have no idea how important it is tho!

Offline MereKat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2013, 13:01 »
Thats what i was thinking, but didn't know if it would be moulded to fit the sensor to prevent any leaks...

My cone was free anyway so may just give it a go lol

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2013, 15:10 »
good job nice to see another 3 door 16v in dragon green :D i can give you advice maybe and pm you pics of mine to help also i'd suggest using a catch can when using a cone filter  :smiley:

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 29 January 2013, 18:30 »
good job nice to see another 3 door 16v in dragon green :D i can give you advice maybe and pm you pics of mine to help also i'd suggest using a catch can when using a cone filter  :smiley:

yeah that would be sweet man thanks. what's a catch can?

changed the fuel filter just now. the old one is such a pita to get off, for some reason vw put these poxy metal clips in under the nuts, pointless methinks when there are nuts :angry: still it's done anyway :)

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 29 January 2013, 18:31 »
dragon green ftw!!!!

Offline dragongreengolfgti

• I live here
  • my golf gti mk3
« Reply #17 on: 29 January 2013, 20:12 »

changed the fuel filter just now. the old one is such a pita to get off, for some reason vw put these poxy metal clips in under the nuts, pointless methinks when there are nuts :angry: still it's done anyway :)

no worries, A catch can is a oil can basically any excess oil being pulled in through the inlet should get put in it. Meaning cleaner throttle body etc when i had a cone filter i noticed one day lots of oil coming out of it and dripping into the engine bay now i run a enclosed induction with cold air feed and catch can which i think has improved things a lot  :smiley:

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 29 January 2013, 21:24 »
Nice setup  :cool:
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 30 January 2013, 20:14 »

no worries, A catch can is a oil can basically any excess oil being pulled in through the inlet should get put in it. Meaning cleaner throttle body etc when i had a cone filter i noticed one day lots of oil coming out of it and dripping into the engine bay now i run a enclosed induction with cold air feed and catch can which i think has improved things a lot  :smiley:

aha. do you find you collect a fair amount in there then? quite like the idea of having your cone down below! I was gonna smooth my airbox but may do that cos I love the cone sound. did you have to do much mods to fit down there?

finally got round to checking my ecu number yesterday for the chip, it's in the post now. looking forward to seeing what gains I can get from it! apparently a decat helps. ive sent him a message so ill see what he says re gains/hardware