Author Topic: vr6 sold, project mid engined track car commences!  (Read 9874 times)

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
  • if at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
so last night me and my mate picked up a vr6 for £500 as a track project, spec:

koni adjustable shocks
grooved and drilled discs and uprated pads (all replaced within the last month)
stainless decat exhaust system

to do:
completely strip her out (including dash)
bucket seats (picking them up this weekend)
front and rear strut braces
pi stiffened 35m lowering springs
goodridge 6 line kit
stainless 6-2-1 mani
induction kit
wrap her in gloss white and put racewraps.com vinyls on her (my mate's business)

quick picture at the petrol station after picking her up last night :)

« Last Edit: 01 April 2012, 09:50 by andynorfolk »

Offline stow1985

• I live here
  • 'when im cleaning winders'
Re: monty the vr6: project track car
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2012, 20:34 »
Didn't know they did VR6's in that colour  :sick:

Will look awesome in white!

Look forward to the progress, I might be interested in some bits if your going to be selling  :wink:

*subscribed*
GOLF GTI MK3 2LTR 8V-MATT BLACK-WORKHORSE

Window cleaning: www.marcstow.vpweb.co.uk

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2012, 23:05 »
completely strip her out (including dash)

Bad idea - the dashboard doesn't weigh that much AND has really useful ventilation controls and ducting within it.  You need this to keep you on track if it rains.

bucket seats (picking them up this weekend)
3 point harnesses

By all means fit the bucket seats, provided they're mounted properly but you already have 3-point harnesses and the best thing about them is that no matter how fat or thin the person sitting in the seat, the harness will fit them, being interia reel 'n' everything.  Where were you going to fit the top mount for the harnesses?  In the roof?  Around the rear strut brace?  On the boot lid?  Oh, maybe you'll use the rear seltbelt mounts.  Please don't - that's not what they're for and your harnesses won't be as safe as your currently fitted seatbelts.

If you're going to go kerrayzee and remove the doorcards, do cover over the doors with foamalux or alloy sheet, to at least protect yourself a bit from sharp metal edges in the event of some sort of talent-shortage-related issue.

You *really* can't go harnesses unless you have a proper cage with harness bars in it.

Have a look at this to get some pointers on how to do a Golf3 VR6 track car properly:

http://www.northloop.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?6796-Ian-s-VR6-Track-Car
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2012, 12:59 »
Thanks man... you'll have to let me know whay bits you're after :)

And mr hell she won't be on the track in bad weather (not at £150 for a day!) :P

and i say 3 point harnesses, they will be either 3 or 4 and will certainly hold us in the seats beter than standard belts... plus we are both the same build (slim) so i'm not too bothered if a fat person can sit in it  :evil:

and anything sharp will be correctly dealt with... we may have bought a barge as a track car but we're not morons and plan to do this to the best standard possible on our budget  :kiss:
« Last Edit: 15 March 2012, 13:03 by andynorfolk »

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2012, 13:32 »
And mr hell she won't be on the track in bad weather (not at £150 for a day!) :P

Errrr, your username suggests you live in the UK?

Like f*ck you won't go out on track in bad weather - you'll book and pay for the day and it won't matter if it's p*ssing with rain, if you're booked and paid, you'll turn up and go.  What will really annoy you is if you go, but then can't go out on the track because the car's misted up and you can't see sh*t because you have no heater or blower.

There was torrential rain during the last day I was at, at Castle Combe.  That was in July.

and i say 3 point harnesses, they will be either 3 or 4 and will certainly hold us in the seats beter than standard belts...

No, if they're not mounted properly and you have an off they won't, because if you run the top strap/s down to the rear belt mounts or similar then on impact the belt will force downwards, doing nasty things like compressing your spine, causing more injuries than a 3-point belt would.  4 point belts also won't stop you submarining in the seat, which a 3-point inertia reel will.  Oh and if you buy 2" belts they'll concentrate loads on your body far more than a standard seatbelt, doing things like breaking your collarbones in an accident.

Far better to keep the current belts and buy a CG Lock which will hold you in place more effectively and in a far safer manner.  After all - VW spent many thousands of Deutsche Marks ensuring the seats and belts in their cars were safe.  Only a moron would replace this important safety kit by just bolting  in some harnesses using a handy bolt hole or two they found in the car that was used for something else before.  You've already stated that you're not morons, so that's OK you won't do that sort of thing, will you?

Maybe before you go tearing off spending that precious budget of yours you should have a read of the relevant sections of the MSA Blue Book.  You'll find it all here:

http://msauk.org/site/cms/contentCategoryView.asp?category=609

This outlines the safety equipment that is required for various types of motor sport.  You may not be competing, but if you take the standards developed through years of experience in motorsport and then apply them to your car, you won't go far wrong.  It would also mean if you did decide to compete you wouldn't need to re-work everything you'd done previously.

Play safe, kids.

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2012, 15:13 »
I live 10 mins from snetterton so that's the only track i'll probably be using...

What is a cg lock and where would you get one?

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2012, 15:56 »
http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/app/performance/

Have a gander, DH speaks the track gospel  :wink:
Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2012, 16:44 »
I live 10 mins from snetterton so that's the only track i'll probably be using...

Bit one-dimensional, but makes sense.

Even so I don't know of many 'turn up and drive' type events in the UK - you normally have to be signed up prior to the event, no matter what the weather's going to do!

Offline andynorfolk

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2012, 17:48 »
thos cg locks look awesome, shame they're £50 a piece!  :shocked:

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2012, 17:59 »
thos cg locks look awesome, shame they're £50 a piece!  :shocked: