Author Topic: Amp wiring for mk4 Golf  (Read 19751 times)

Offline The Dave

• I live here
Amp wiring for mk4 Golf
« on: 18 April 2010, 12:57 »
Hi guys, it's about time I stuck my amp and sub in the boot... but before I even attempt to start, can anyone recommend a good place to run the cables through? Especially the power cable into the cabin of course.

Also where is the BEST earth point in the boot area?

If I can avoid drilling holes I will do.

Does the sill trim come off easily too?

Any help or guides much appreciated, search was being useless for me.

Offline RnP

• Here all the time
  • Audi S4 gone, looking for b5 rs4
Re: Amp wiring for mk4 Golf
« Reply #1 on: 18 April 2010, 13:10 »
Here you go mate hope this helps

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/179553.aspx

Offline The Dave

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 April 2010, 13:18 »
Ta mate will investigate the grommet mentioned in a min :D

Offline Big Tone

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 April 2010, 21:01 »
Grommet behind dash, into wiring containment in engine bay (keeps all wiring hidden), I ran my cables in the roof (had to remove headliner to fix sunroof anyway) Power + remote on one side, Speakers on the other, earthed the sub to the seatbelt bolt under the rear seats.

Hope that helps

****FOR SALE**** 11 Months MOT, 5 Months Tax - 1.8T AUM, Stage 1 map, Lowered 35mm on Jamex Springs, Smoothed Airbox, Pipercross Panel, Forge 007P, N249 Bypass, Silicon Breather Hoses,Silicon Vac Hoses, Top Mounts & Bushes All Round, Catch Can Install,  New Discs and Pads All Round, A Big Sub, A SH*TLOAD of Polishing and A Thirst For V-POWER! Profile/msg for info!

Offline The Dave

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2010, 23:31 »
Cheers mate, which gromet did you go for? :)

Offline lemonadeX

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 19 April 2010, 16:44 »
I've just installed a mini sub into my boot. I took the power from the wire leading into the 12V outlet in the boot, seems to work and saves routing from the battery. In terms of wiring to the HU, I took the cables beside the gear stick mount and through the handbrake covering. From there, under the carpet just behind the arm rest (need to take out the back seats which is easy), round the side of the seats and into the boot from there.

Will

Offline The Dave

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2010, 16:53 »
Seems to be a fair few varied ways people install the wiring in the Golf! :) Appreciate all the feedback and ideas though, thanks guys.

Offline troublestarter

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 April 2010, 23:15 »
taking it from the rear cigarette lighter really is not a good idea as the circuit is only made to supply a maximum current of 10 amps
the best and proper way is through the grommet behind the pollen filter that comes out behind the passenger airbag
you can however also take it from the bank of buzz bars under the drivers side dash trim above the accelerator pedal and it will be bolt number 2 from the left
www.awesomeautomotive.co.uk<br />mobile vehicle security & audio fitting service<br />insurance accredited

Offline Dave_IOW

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2010, 17:30 »
Theres a nice grommet half way down on right hand side of dash thats pretty well hidden, have to punch a hole in but i got amp cable and vacuum hose through for boost guage.

There are lots of wires run through here as standard, and room for 3/4 8gauge sized cables.

This brings cable out right inside passenger footwell at the top but you can get to the wires without removing glovebox, it is perfect location.

also sills just pop off and pop back on, so easy and alot of room down there.
Project: Mk2 20vT trackslag
Daily: Mk2 GTI typ19

Offline lemonadeX

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2010, 21:32 »
taking it from the rear cigarette lighter really is not a good idea as the circuit is only made to supply a maximum current of 10 amps
the best and proper way is through the grommet behind the pollen filter that comes out behind the passenger airbag
you can however also take it from the bank of buzz bars under the drivers side dash trim above the accelerator pedal and it will be bolt number 2 from the left

Guess it depends on the unit...being a mini one my sub is rated at 8 amps max.

Will