Author Topic: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Updating Broken Pics From Page 1 And Adding New Works  (Read 379196 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Picture update P174
« Reply #1740 on: 06 August 2012, 23:59 »
Looks good in that shot.
Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers.

Any shot taken away from my drive is an improvement.  :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Body and Motor Matters P175
« Reply #1741 on: 17 August 2012, 12:52 »
Last week I spent some time cracking on with some bodywork matters. Ideally I would like this car to be the same colour all over in time for action, bit of a task to be honest, especially with the weather often not being on my side.

When I first put this back on the road last year, a lot of bodywork took place.  Sadly a replacement wing I tarted up for the NS turned out to be from a cabby, this didn't fit so well as these are slightly different to tin tops and the poor fit was exaggerated when the body kit was put back on. I fitted it anyway and made do.

Earlier this year I sourced 2, never fitted OEM tin top wings  :cool: and began working on the NS one to replace the one mentioned above.

Flat

Optimus

Base

Got one of these for the cans, last time I did without, never again.

Cracked on with bonnet number........... actually I've lost count.  :grin:

Degrease

Rust removal

Key

Ding Filling

Smooth

This happened quite a lot, little bastids!  :angry:

Painted and plonked on car for colour match test before wet sanding

Not impressed with this paint to be honest, it's a lot cheaper than what I was using before, I need to use more of it and it's more Matte than Satin.  :sad:

Wet sanding

Sooo much more to do.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2012, 18:06 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Re: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Picture update P174
« Reply #1742 on: 17 August 2012, 12:54 »
Also trying to get the engine tip top

(Copied from post addressed to danny_p)

When I bought this car 8 years ago from the previous owner of 17 years I questioned it's rattly head (typical worn DX solid lifter sound that I often compare to the clattery sound of the old ford OHV engine).  The owner said that it had been like it for as long as he could remember, as far as he was aware it was down to the high lift cam and was normal.  I took this with a pinch of salt and planned to check the clearances.  I never got round to it as it got smashed up soon after purchase.  :cry:  I must add that it had always been meticulously serviced from day one. 

My previous (standard DX engined) MK1 sounded similar so I am use to it but that had some serious mileage and therefore I put it's clattering down to wear and tear.

I have owned and heard quiet DX heads on MK1's that are setup properly so I naturally assume I can address this one.

Anyway, I'm getting round to giving this motor a decent once over and last night started with the head by checking the clearances.  The Richard Lloyd cold clearances differ from standard and documented in imperial.  :rolleyes:

INLET        EXHAUST
0.008"       0.016"

Believe it or not, with a 132k on the clock the exhaust clearances are bang on.  :shocked:

For the inlets I have 1 measuring at the documented 0.008" two at 0.009" and 1 at 0.010".  This to me looks pretty good, right?  The worst clearance is only 2 thou out.  For the type of head I have, am I right to assume that this is still well within tolerance or, is the tolerance far less on a high lift cam and less forgiving?

If this does all sound fine then why is the head so noisy?  I was thinking worn guides maybe, but I would expect to be burning oil which this engine has never done.  Is it also worth noting that this car does not have standard valves either, they are a couple of mm larger diameter over standard.

I just hate the fact that it sounds like a tired and battered wreck when it doesn't drive like it.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2012, 12:57 by SoundillusioN »

Offline leigh_harty

• I live here
  • Audi AGU
Re: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Body and Motor Matters P175
« Reply #1743 on: 17 August 2012, 17:02 »

I just hate the fact that it sounds like a tired and battered wreck when it doesn't drive like it.

Stick a cherry bomb on it? Would distract the ear away from your shot engine?  :grin: :kiss:

Dont lose your dinosaur!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #1744 on: 17 August 2012, 22:34 »

Stick a cherry bomb on it? Would distract the ear away from your shot engine?  :grin: :kiss:

Just to be clear, this motor is far from shot...  :rolleyes:

Will be checking for oil starvation next.

Offline jmsheahan

• I live here
« Reply #1745 on: 17 August 2012, 23:10 »
Can't offer any advice on the Cylinder head unfortunately but the car is looking great   :cool:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #1746 on: 17 August 2012, 23:51 »
I would get the oil pressure checked if it is that noisy.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #1747 on: 17 August 2012, 23:58 »
Can't offer any advice on the Cylinder head unfortunately but the car is looking great   :cool:

Cheers fella... Be nice to have it looking like it means business again.

I would get the oil pressure checked if it is that noisy.

Yeah thinking the same to be honest.  Its not that bad, sounds like a typical DX head, just don't want it to.

Going to check the cam bearing caps too me thinks.

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #1748 on: 18 August 2012, 00:02 »
One other thing is when did it last have a oil pump, for what they cost it might be worth trying.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #1749 on: 18 August 2012, 00:38 »
One other thing is when did it last have a oil pump, for what they cost it might be worth trying.

Fook knows but I'm not one for buying stuff on a whim.   :grin:  Who am I kidding? Well not when it comes to things like this but will quite happily replace it if it turns out to be faulty.