Author Topic: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Updating Broken Pics From Page 1 And Adding New Works  (Read 379174 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Can't believe my thread has bounced all the way back to page 3, Ive been slacking!

Booked a day off work tomorrow. Will have the house to myself for the day which means the missus can't stop me from dedicating the day to the golf, watch this space!  :wink:

You watch it p1ss it down tomorrow now!   :rolleyes:

what are you going to be doing?

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
Can't believe my thread has bounced all the way back to page 3, Ive been slacking!

Booked a day off work tomorrow. Will have the house to myself for the day which means the missus can't stop me from dedicating the day to the golf, watch this space!  :wink:

Nothing, as usual!  :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.

Got it in one. I've quit for the day and found something else to do since I've just had a massive fail.  Been working on a the bonnet to make it decent since this morning. Stripped it, filled dents, primed it, found more dents and scratches, repeated with added filler primer, Greenflys decide to play on it, smoothed it, reprimed and then it decided to react like a mo fo.  Now need to strip it all off again, need it to dry hard so doing housework now instead!

Offline Guy

• Forum addict

Got it in one. I've quit for the day and found something else to do since I've just had a massive fail.  Been working on a the bonnet to make it decent since this morning. Stripped it, filled dents, primed it, found more dents and scratches, repeated with added filler primer, Greenflys decide to play on it, smoothed it, reprimed and then it decided to react like a mo fo.  Now need to strip it all off again, need it to dry hard so doing housework now instead!

did i tell you about that idea i had for your bonnet?

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict

Definitely tests your patience doesn't it.........been there done that :cry: The joys of carrying out bodywork/spraying at home.

Going back to the years when I used to do enjoy doing bodywork/welding and spraying I remember a phrase my Dad told me:-
You can put salt on chips but you can't put chips on salt; meaning that you can put synthetic paint on cellulose but you can't spray cellulose onto synthetic. It was the cause of a few of my paint problems as I only ever worked with cellulose paints. My compressor couldn't handle running a spray gun and breathing gear that was necessary for the two pack synthetic paints so I just used to wear a particle mask and use cellulose paints.
Keep at it, you'll get a good result and valuable experience in the end :wink:

Offline travisreeve

• I live here
MWAHAHAHAHA  :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
did i tell you about that idea i had for your bonnet?

I remember you giving me an idea with a spare bonnet I have, can't remember the details but wasn't it around having the build/repair work documented on the bonnet for show use?

Definitely tests your patience doesn't it.........been there done that :cry: The joys of carrying out bodywork/spraying at home.

Going back to the years when I used to do enjoy doing bodywork/welding and spraying I remember a phrase my Dad told me:-
You can put salt on chips but you can't put chips on salt; meaning that you can put synthetic paint on cellulose but you can't spray cellulose onto synthetic. It was the cause of a few of my paint problems as I only ever worked with cellulose paints. My compressor couldn't handle running a spray gun and breathing gear that was necessary for the two pack synthetic paints so I just used to wear a particle mask and use cellulose paints.
Keep at it, you'll get a good result and valuable experience in the end :wink:

Yes it certainly does..... I know exactly what I did wrong and on top of that I rushed it!... Stupid boy!

MWAHAHAHAHA  :grin:

Shut it you! sympathise at my uselessness and paint my car.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
Re: MK1 Black From The Dead - Bee In My Bonnets (Pics p132)
« Reply #1317 on: 17 July 2011, 20:21 »
So today I had some time while the missus was out. As soon as that happened it decided to rain.  Did what I could, attacked 2 bonnets up to the point of painting..... almost:

Couple of weeks back I made a start.  Took off the bonnet the old girls been rocking with, bought it for a tenner ages ago, slapped some paint on it which showed all the dents and scratches and drove the car about. 

Time to make good

Underneath it's pretty far gone in places with the old tin worm, eventually I will have to source a mint one when the time comes for a pro respray

Cleaned it up best I could

And since it's the underneath and the metal has had a hard time, it was hammer(ite) time.

Started on the important side, as posted before this went horribly wrong when I got lazy and used some filler primer on some small marks.   Reactions and shrinking and swearing!  When it comes to bodywork, don't be lazy!

Invested in an Orbital Sander after all the pain, yes the rest of the car has mostly been done by hand until now as the normal sander was sh*t!  :shocked:

Dent free, smooth and waiting for paint.

As the rain got worse I worked on the Quattro bonnet in the shed as I thought it was about time... much nicer to work on. It has a lot of damage though as it was in a barn for years!  Need to work on the back corners as they are shot from being sat on them the whole time.

Hope to be wearing it by VW Action although it looks like I'm going to have to use bonnet pins.  :sad:

Thanks for looking.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 17 July 2011, 20:26 by SoundillusioN »

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #1318 on: 17 July 2011, 20:22 »
Good progress Shaun

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #1319 on: 17 July 2011, 20:39 »
Looks sweet mate love your tidy garden  :kiss:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)