Author Topic: Josho's MK3's. Wishbone bushes in, one sump plug just isn't enough.  (Read 22974 times)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
"GTI".  :grin: Bare with me, for the last two nights I've had the some total of 7 hours sleep. Got up at 4AM, picked my mate up, went to the station, locked the key in my 1.6 (only got one key so locked it in the boot so mum and dad could pick it up) and travelled down to Devon.

8v, impressed with the engine, torquey little engine (don't worry, I still know full well the 16v is better.  :laugh:). LOVE it on the motorway, was doing 50, came to the national speed limit and in the time it would have taken for the 1.6 to get to 65 in fith, this got to 90!  :shocked: Not what I'd consider a fast car but it just pulls on the motorway and that's exactly what I wanted!

Absolute bargain, really appreciate the price. £100 (payed another £100 for the tax).

Had brand new Toyo Proxies last MOT, new brake discs, new brake pads all round. Ran beautifully for the 300 miles last night, 43MPG was on the MFA on the journey home at 80.

Few things wrong with it:

-Drivers door barrel not locking or unlocking with the key. (Got spare handles, easy fix)
-Passenger window sometimes just won't go up or down. (Pulled over, opened the door and thumped the door card and it worked but got spare full door looms, regulators and motors)
-No radio (I took one to Devon for the journey back and ran it over accidentally.  :embarassed: :grin:)
-ABS light not coming on at all and doesn't kick in so the back slides if you brake stupidly hard
-Handbrake light comes on sometimes and won't go out until ignition light off and on. (ABS fault, hoping a sensor or something).
-Exhaust rattles sometimes (needs a hanger, not an issue)
-Passenger wing mirror needs tightening up (it's loose)
-Drivers wing dented (get a new one and get it sprayed up at work)
-Couple of rust patches (not too serious so will sort it)
-Some sort of tensioner on the engine is noisy so will need sorting, gonna change the cambelt anyway,think it's that tensioner.
-Needs a drivers seat

Seems a big list but all "cosmetic" issues.

Well pleased with it, THIS IS NOT the end of the 1.6. Even though this one drives miles better, is quieter, quicker, smoother and better on fuel, I still prefer the 1.6.  :grin:

Will be sorting insurance (drove it home under trade) and swapping the coilovers and sound system over then generally tidy the car up, will probably keep the Golf front on this one and completely do the 1.6 up.

Want both MK3's to be as mint as possible.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 30 August 2011, 21:30 by Bellend »

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
Re: Josho's GTI. MK3 - Award for the WORST pictures ever?
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2011, 17:43 »
looks great

and what a BARGAIN

the 8v is not as bad as folk think, iv had all of them and believe me, hteiors not much difference in the 8v and 16v, infact id say my old 8v lump that was in the black car was faster than the green 16v car i had.. 

my new engine makes VR6's look like a 8v now tho as me and ben found out today

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2011, 17:48 »
Ran over your own radio? What the hell!?  :laugh:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline snifferdog

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2011, 17:52 »
Such a bargain mate! I spend many hours on the internet looking for a car like this  :laugh: Well done!

Oh, and if you wanna double your money on it  :wink: :grin:

Offline F17BAD

• Forum addict
  • Golf MTM S3 GTI TURBO
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2011, 17:54 »
Such a bargain mate! I spend many hours on the internet looking for a car like this  :laugh: Well done!

5 Door silver Valver for 350 in classifieds - bargain i think

Not no ordinary GTI....

House classics and Techno mixes:
https://soundcloud.com/bradkells
www.mixcloud.com/kells/

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2011, 18:06 »
looks great

and what a BARGAIN

the 8v is not as bad as folk think, iv had all of them and believe me, hteiors not much difference in the 8v and 16v, infact id say my old 8v lump that was in the black car was faster than the green 16v car i had.. 

my new engine makes VR6's look like a 8v now tho as me and ben found out today

Cheers matey.  :smiley: Black so lots of inspiration from yours!  :smiley: Is metallic though.

Will clean up better then it is, a fair amount of rust near the tailgate on one side, luckily not serious at all!

Yeah it pulls well, needs a DAMNED good service and the bay needs a tidy up so will get that sorted.

I bet it does, I probably will do a 1.8T MK3 when I can.  :evil:

Ran over your own radio? What the hell!?  :laugh:

Basically, I parked the 1.6 up, took my bag out (had tools and a few bits in it) and some prick started moaning (who the hell is awake and dressed at 5AM) moaning that I couldn't park outside his house, even though he had a massive drive and was parked next to a wall. Moved the car to keep the peace to the other side of the road where it was just a big fence, no houses and didn't realise he said to my mate I couldn't park it there either, cause I'd have moved it back to his house as tight as possible and left it, then got the hump and moved the car up the road, running my bag over.  :embarassed: Thought I just hit a spanner set so no big deal. Total prick though, next time I'll use the Micra and dump it there.  :grin:

Haha gotta be quick mate.  :tongue: But thank you, I'll bare that in mind.  :smiley:

5 Door silver Valver for 350 in classifieds - bargain i think

Don't see many silvers about.  :cool:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2011, 20:58 »
Looks good and a complete bargain for the money :afro:

Handbrake light will be nothing to do with the ABS, check the fluid level.

Offline GrandMstRamRod

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2011, 21:23 »
looking good dude what a purchase

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2011, 21:35 »
Looks good and a complete bargain for the money :afro:

Handbrake light will be nothing to do with the ABS, check the fluid level.

Yeah cheers mate, few spots of rust but nothing the spray booth won't sort. :)

Thought I'd read it will do it with the ABS on the late cars? The fluid is fine, perhaps the sensor is gone although it doesn't flicker, it will come on and stay on and if I hammer on the brakes, it will come on still.

Swapped the drivers and passenger door handle, will probably just delock the passenger tbh.
Tightened the passenger mirror.
Tried programming alarm, pain in the arse because the model number has faded off the siren. Will be ripping that out sometime, possibly replace with one with remote start.

I started the car and heard squealing, this is a pulley squealing. Fairly sure it's waterpump or belt tensioner. History shows belt last changed in 2004, so will be ordering a belt kit, water pump, aux belt and tensioner and probably an aerial base but if I ever respray the roof, I will be getting rid of the aerial.

Decided I'm gonna get those bits and do them before insuring it and then swap the suspension over.

looking good dude what a purchase

Cheers mate, couldn't believe it tbf, literally got out the car, looked round it and said "I'm happy to buy it now" after 20 seconds. Bloke was proper genuine.  :smiley:

Offline neil1780

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2011, 22:08 »
Looks good mate even with the worst pics ever. £100 what a bargain i paid 200 for mine and it was a lot worse than yours :afro:
V6 4MOTION