Author Topic: Dealer fit dashcam  (Read 3751 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Dealer fit dashcam
« Reply #20 on: 27 April 2023, 06:05 »
The dashboard chassis always looks scruffy with rust or discolouring around the welds - you're not meant to be in there looking is probably VW's attitude.

Been like that on MK7 Golf R, 2018 Polo GTI+, 2019 Polo GTI+, ID3 and Cupra Born that i've fitted dashcams to. The car isn't going to deteriorate, they just don't take too much care making it look pristine when no one will see it.

I expect to see the same when I fit my dashcams to the S3.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2023, 06:07 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2023, 08:33 »
Fitted the S3's dashcam yesterday - the dashboard chassis was actually painted - that's a first, and it also made finding a grounding point for the dashcam a bit of a bugger. There were 3 bolts to choose from and only the top bolt was able to provide a decent earth.

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2023, 08:54 »
I was wondering if these cars have been built a while ago and sat in a compound waiting for chips but most of the trim and fittings have 2022 dates on them

A bit off topic but when I ordered my MK7.5 it was held up due to the WLTP fiasco at VW and a spent some time in storage. VW were using the not fit for purpose new Berlin Airport to store some cars but mine was stuck at Wolfsburg for a few weeks. I was worried that it may have been stuck dockside somewhere but not the case. TBH can’t see why storing a car outside is any different from driving and keeping one outside? (Unless stored near the sea)
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Tractor Dave

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2023, 13:49 »
Swapped over very easily.
Used the piggy back fuse.
No rust on the Audi at all. As said above, difficult to find a good ground as the dash frame seems to be hard plastic. Just need a new sticky pad now.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 17 June 2023, 11:22 »
Has anyone got an experience of a fitcamx dashcam? https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-volkswagen-golf-mk8-gte-gtd-gti-r

I have been looking for something small / discreet so considering this or a garmin mini 2. The fitcamx could look the most oem… but I know my ocd might not like the finish and colour match of the new cowling.

I fear for both to have parking mode I’d need to still hardwire via fuse box plus a rear cam will be more wires
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 17 June 2023, 13:51 »
Has anyone got an experience of a fitcamx dashcam? https://fitcamx.com/products/fitcamx-dash-cam-for-volkswagen-golf-mk8-gte-gtd-gti-r

I have been looking for something small / discreet so considering this or a garmin mini 2. The fitcamx could look the most oem… but I know my ocd might not like the finish and colour match of the new cowling.

I fear for both to have parking mode I’d need to still hardwire via fuse box plus a rear cam will be more wires

High failure rate for the dashcamX (overheating) across multiple VAG forums I frequent, and low light performance is crap - there's a reason why they're £50 and not £250.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 17 June 2023, 14:26 »
Is that the same as the fitcamx? They are not £50 they seem to be in £170+ range

The install video doesn’t look that easy either!
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #27 on: 17 June 2023, 14:41 »
I meant the fitcamX, apologies. These seem to have shot up in price. About a year ago you could pay £50-60 for tge front cam unit only. The functionality seems to have gone up. I'd rather have something that will work well and for a long time than something that looks a little more integrated.

I've had a Thinkware F770 2CH setup in both our cars since 2016 (mine has been in 4 cars, my wife's has been in 3). If you're reasonably competent in DIY, these aren't tough to hardwire, rear cam wiring properly routed through the tailgate wiring gaiters from the main car body.

The dashcams have paid for themselves a few times over, proving fault of 2 drivers who hit me and lied through their teeth about it. I would definitely not be without parking monitoring and a rear cam.

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 17 June 2023, 16:46 »
Good to know thx. Are yours front and rear? And if both would you recommend a rear one or is front just enough?

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 17 June 2023, 16:58 »
Good to know thx. Are yours front and rear? And if both would you recommend a rear one or is front just enough?

I'd recommend both, front only won't help if someone rear ends you, and might only get you a 50% chance of catching someone scraping your unattended car in a car park with a parking monitoring situation.