Author Topic: £100 on the spot fine for careless drivers come into force today  (Read 5141 times)

Offline RedHP

• I live here
Agreed. Silly manoeuvers like that are illegal, but I was trying to provide answers for when overtaking on the inside lane is legal (regardless of on motorway or around town etc). And was desperately racking my mind from the period when I studied for my driving test  :wink:

Also see, http://recombu.com/cars/articles/features/is-it-legal-to-undertake

Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
If I'm doing a constant speed in a lane and someone to my right is driving slower I just over take them.  Fault lies with them for not moving when they had the opportunity.

Offline Shady Pioneer

• Serious forum addict
  • graphic designer.
If I'm doing a constant speed in a lane and someone to my right is driving slower I just over take them.  Fault lies with them for not moving when they had the opportunity.

Over or undertake?

Offline RedHP

• I live here

Me thinks that this is a bit of a 'grey area'. It would all depend on actual situation at the time, but I also think that this is one of the issues that this new law is trying to assist with.

Basically, and as I was taught...................stay left unless overtaking..............do not drive too close to car in front................no usage of mobile devices whilst driving etc etc.
Saying this though, I still see loads of drivers using mobile phones (both talking and texting), so not sure if the authorities can clamp down on the new rulings as they struggle with the phone one !

Red

YNWA

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
Long overdue.  Although the fine for being on the phone isn't enough of a deterrent. You still see people trying hide their phone on their lap and all you see is one hand on the wheel and eyes down. Idiots.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
What gets me is the amount of drivers of high end cars that drive with their phones to their ears. They have got bluetooth, so why not use it? :huh:

Also with very basic bluetooth devices available from as little as £20, there is no excuse. I know that you can't dial from these without holding the phone, but at least you can answer a call if you really must.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
Was surprises me is how people need all these laws. Surely common sense dictates what not to do while handling what could be potentially a deadly weapon. I was undertaken on the motorway by a fat baldy bar steward yesterday. Pointlessly may I add as he still couldn't squeeze his way into the fast lane and I overtook him 30 seconds later. Obviously has some sort of of mental health issue.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline RedHP

• I live here
YES !!!
Thank you Dubs & Dragonflea   :cool:

I completely agree with both and its so frustrating seeing drivers doing these things (and we know that they are i.e. texting) and so dangerous.

For me, its both texting and talking on phone (blatantly holding phone to ear) that irks me. Especially on difficult or winding roads and/or bad conditions  :angry:

Red

YNWA

Offline gazareth

• I live here
all them new laws are about getting more money out off drivers and in to government pockets! yes we all moan about middle lane hoggers but we all do it anyway. and we still get where we are going. I can see a lot off accidents because of these new rules. there will constantly be cars pulling out from left lane to middle lane and from right lane to middle lane and that is not a good thing. oh and how big does the gap between two cars in the left lane have to be for you to have to pull in during overtaking both off them???

Offline gazareth

• I live here
and as for people using their mobile while driving. they should have their license lost for a year.