Author Topic: £600 car. Suggestions Please!  (Read 3580 times)

Offline bob23

• GTI forum regular
  • Hi, for those of you that don't know, I'm a tw@!
Re: £600 car. Suggestions Please!
« Reply #20 on: 08 April 2012, 02:44 »
If it's not gone yet a bloke I sometimes work with has a 1997 1.0 micra, has no tax but has 8/9 months MOT, he now has a focus on a 58 plate and can't be bothered to sell the micra as "it's only worth £400" so said he was going to scrap it for £100, would you be interested for £100 if he hasn't got rid of it yet? I'll see him Monday night to find out if he still has it.

Current cars 1995 Golf gti colour concept 2.0 8v 156,000 miles. bmw 316 1.9 129,000. yeah, life's good! :rolleyes:

Offline CJA321

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 08 April 2012, 17:42 »
For that money, a Peugeot 106 Diesel ticks all boxes, cheapest to buy, run, service, mend, no rust, and plenty to choose from... but at all costs, avoid buying a KA of any year or price!

Thom
You might also want to leave for work an hour early if you buy one of these. Slowest car ever!

I would suggest a Micra. Solid cars, reliable and it doesn't matter if you crash it.

Micra solid car? Most iv come across have been rotten!! Front crossmembers basicly non existant!! Maybe afew good ones around though, or maybe just the salty roads up north  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 08 April 2012, 17:45 by CJA321 »

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 08 April 2012, 22:40 »
avoid micras and KA's

1.4 flat D  pug 106
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline jimbooboo

• I live here
  • YUM YUM
« Reply #24 on: 09 April 2012, 11:33 »
Why would she want a tug boat mk3?

Offline stu646

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 09 April 2012, 12:08 »
I'd avoid the polo 6n, the word chocolate components comes to mind in my ownership of two of them. Always a gearbox issue somewhere along the way and TB issues (but thats common for vag), apart from that they are ok, easy to repair and maintain, but my mk4 1.8T has cost me miles less in maintenance than my polo's. My polo's bills where so high I could of bought a new LCR  :grin: :grin: :grin:

KA's rust like mad, I'd look at a micra personally

Agree fully about the Polo 6n. I had the 1.4 16v model and even though I really enjoyed driving it, very nippy , great handling ect, the bills on fixing bits here and there were out of hand. Had a new clutch, gearbox (luckily managed to get it for free due to a old recall issued) and just little issues that seemed to happy every other week.

Only had it 12 months or so before some silly girl decided to crash in to me , writing it off, but it cost more in bills in those 12 months than MK4 1.8T has in the same time

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #26 on: 09 April 2012, 12:17 »
I'd avoid the polo 6n, the word chocolate components comes to mind in my ownership of two of them. Always a gearbox issue somewhere along the way and TB issues (but thats common for vag), apart from that they are ok, easy to repair and maintain, but my mk4 1.8T has cost me miles less in maintenance than my polo's. My polo's bills where so high I could of bought a new LCR  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Agree fully about the Polo 6n. I had the 1.4 16v model and even though I really enjoyed driving it, very nippy , great handling ect, the bills on fixing bits here and there were out of hand. Had a new clutch, gearbox (luckily managed to get it for free due to a old recall issued) and just little issues that seemed to happy every other week.

Only had it 12 months or so before some silly girl decided to crash in to me , writing it off, but it cost more in bills in those 12 months than MK4 1.8T has in the same time

Completely agree, I had the 1.0MPI and then the 1.4... both gearbox issues like mad, I remember waking up one morning and putting it on reverse only to nearly go through the house in front, the reverse gear failed and in turn would only go forward  :embarassed: What the 1.8T has cost me is nothing in comparison to what the 6n has cost me, its utterly crazy when people go on about how smaller cars are better, economical, cost effective, more reliable, easy to fix etc...

Yet I abuse the 1.8T non stop from cold an it keeps going, the 6n driven normally just fell apart  :grin: I know a few lad's on here that would say avoid the 6n like an STD.

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline stu646

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 09 April 2012, 12:21 »

Completely agree, I had the 1.0MPI and then the 1.4... both gearbox issues like mad, I remember waking up one morning and putting it on reverse only to nearly go through the house in front, the reverse gear failed and in turn would only go forward  :embarassed: What the 1.8T has cost me is nothing in comparison to what the 6n has cost me, its utterly crazy when people go on about how smaller cars are better, economical, cost effective, more reliable, easy to fix etc...

Yet I abuse the 1.8T non stop from cold an it keeps going, the 6n driven normally just fell apart  :grin: I know a few lad's on here that would say avoid the 6n like an STD.

Shame though, as I did really enjoy the Polo when it is was working. Which was not very often. I don't know about you, but one problem I would have , is when slowing down from speed, like say coming of a Motorway to a roundabout ect, I would change down to first, but then the engine would just cut out. Use to happen regularly, garage could find nothing wrong though.
Even had the gear stick come out fully in my hand once while doing 80MPH!

The petrol costs too , like you say, don't seem that different either to the the 1.8T now.

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
« Reply #28 on: 09 April 2012, 12:31 »
Following on from Thom's suggestion...
http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/peugeot/106/postcode/ox100dz/radius/1501/sort/priceasc/fuel-type/diesel

You can get her 2 for just over £700 so she'll have plenty of spares or a whole other car to use if the first dies. If my wife wasn't going to ferry our kids around in her car I'd get her one of these  :lipsrsealed:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #29 on: 09 April 2012, 12:59 »
Following on from Thom's suggestion...
http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/peugeot/106/postcode/ox100dz/radius/1501/sort/priceasc/fuel-type/diesel

You can get her 2 for just over £700 so she'll have plenty of spares or a whole other car to use if the first dies. If my wife wasn't going to ferry our kids around in her car I'd get her one of these  :lipsrsealed:

£400's worth of 106 will always be better than 2k's worth of KA :smiley: they really are a bargain, especially for just short commuter type journeys, and those engines are worthy of many of hundreds of thousands of miles without a problem... the downside is the cars that dont have power steering! avoid at all costs, its like steering a tank :lipsrsealed:

Thom